free website stats program Harley to sell a new entry level scoot? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley to sell a new entry level scoot?

For 2011 there will be a Sporty SuperLow or UltraLow or something like that. It will be yet another entry level Harley. If HD wanted to go further they could do what Buell did to make a Blast and block off the rear cylinder of an 883 to make a 441 single. Then they would have a low, slow, beginner bike.

ATK makes a high quality hand assembled dirt bike. They use a Rotax motor with the best aftermarket parts as stock parts. Some parts are: Brembo,Supertrapp,White Power, Protaper ,ect.
This would be a huge departure from their norm. However they have struggled finacially for years. But they always come back. I trust if this is true , it would meet some of ATK s high standards.
T

Since the demise of Buell, HD no longer has the Buell Blast (or at least not for much longer) to use as a training bike for Riders Edge classes. For a bike to be used in Riders Edge it must meet the rules that MSF puts out, since the HD New Rider Course is based on the MSF Beginning Riders Course. The rules state that a bike must have 500cc or less displacement, must weigh 400 pounds or less, and must have a seat height of 30 inches or less. Without the Blast, HD does not have a branded bike they can use for Riders Edge. So, they are coming up with a new entry level bike that can be used in Riders Edge training. Do not know the timing, whether or not it is a completely new HD design (but I feel that it is), or something from another manufacturer and branded to be an HD.

Bottom line, there is a new entry level bike in the pipeline.

Harley sells an entry level scoot it called a Sporty.
And the newest one is called a 48
I saw a new Sporty in dealer Saturday with a 6999 price tag on it did not look at it much as I am not a Sporty rider I think it was what they call an Iron, nows days that is entry level.
You're seriously going to claim the 1200cc 48 at $10.5K MSRP a "entry level scoot?" That's not the kind of bike that's going get a lot of brand new riders.

As for the other Sportsters, the 883 low was $7K, but it's gone from the lineup for 2011. Now the least expensive H-D is the 883 SuperLow, which starts at $8K.

Regardless of price I don't consider the slightly top heavy Sportster to be an "entry level" motorcycle.

Here are some examples of an entry level bike:

Ninja 250 $4K MSRP
V-star 250 $4K MSRP
Rebel 250 $4K MSRP

Unfortunately Kawasaki dropped a great entry level bike from their line-up, the Vulcan 500, which produced more horsepower than a Sportster 883, and sold for about $5K.

IMO, H-D needs a less expensive, lower displacement, lightweight and well balanced bike to attract brand new riders. A 250 to 500cc bike, parrallel twin or v-twin, would be a good way to go.

Back