free website stats program Harley RV Mishap | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley RV Mishap

I know he had to be sick seeing his ride in a hole. Was the bike damaged?

No damage at all...thank goodness.

Randall can you find out the make and model of the toy hauler please.

In the spirit of education here is an update. Talked to my Pal: His Fifth Wheel RV is a 37 foot Montana Mountaineer Model 347 THT. Referred to by many as a "toy hauler".
Furthermore the floor was 1/2 inch OSB or actually 7/16 of an inch in reality. He was almost home and on the interstate they got into heavy winds and some bouncing up and down. He actually thinks he heard a "crash" from all the way inside his truck....hence they stopped pulled over and inspected the inside of the RV. He noticed the rear tie down straps were a little loose so he tightened them up a little more. However when he got home the next day it discovered the rear tire sitting in a three inch deep hole of sunken floor. According to the RV Dealer they were astonished and claim this is the first time this has happened to their knowledge.
Apparently some of these toy haulers are made to hold TWO Hawgs. But the one in this discussion was made for just one cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
3/4 marine plywood I'm thinkin would be best. they make most rvs 1 town to my east. my wife worked at quest in the boom time. it is amazing they stay together. but they do.

WOW, I haven't heard that word "marine plywood" for a long time!
Particle board is the replacement for a good quality product?.

I agree a long diamond plate of alum would look good and do the job.. mentioned by cowboywildbill.

I will say in defense ; the heavy bike Bouncing would push thru Most wood products made today but not the Marine plywood that ultrat mentioned..

Cutting corners! Kinda sounds like HD, doesn't it?

signed....BUBBIE

Some versions of diamond plate are a little slippery. Probably a good idea to install as suggested as a strip that the wheels roll on but leave the floor as is or use some type of sanded coating. Nothing worse than backing her down and having your foot slip. Catching it is hard on the bod.

The floor of my sheds are made of particle board and one day a couple of years ago the softail tried to escape bygoing through the floor i was backing the bike out of the shed when the front wheel sank got a little chip in the tank where it hut the door frame
my neighbours work often has leftover cuts of 1" and 3/4" marine ply they make and refurb lifting equipent for the offshore oil industry ofcuts are usually about 4ft by 2 1/2 ft so my work bench is 8 ft long and 2 1/2 ft wide made of 1" marine ply and i put 3/4" over the floor of the shed now waiting for enough off cuts for the back shed as that floor is starting to sag just where the bikes hit the floor coming into the shed

Brian

Never had any trouble with my toy hauler like that but if I did I would put a piece of 4 or 5 inch channel iron down the legth of the bike to park the bike on and spread the weight out.

My Haulmark enclosed has 3/4 plywood and never had a problem with my RK. Plus the floor joist are on 16" center.

I have 2 back up cameras, one on the outside of the trailer and one in the inside both wireless, did that to make sure the tie downs stayed were they were suppose to. theres alot of action back there and its good to tune in once in awhile.

I have 2 back up cameras, one on the outside of the trailer and one in the inside both wireless, did that to make sure the tie downs stayed were they were suppose to. theres alot of action back there and its good to tune in once in awhile.

Fishman,

How about sharing a little info on the wireless cameras you're using? Cost, brand, source, you know, the little things.

Back