free website stats program Harley questions | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley questions

Nothing less than 91 octane for my FLHX...anything less could cause annoying ping/knock, but can run 87 if nothing's available & you need fuel to continue. I don't have security either, but would still lock forks/ignition. Consider more security layers = better protection. You have to carry FOB so hanging key from it shouldn't be any problem...JMO.

"IF" you ever HAVE to use Lower Octane Fuel,,,,, DON'T LUGG the motor.. Especially in warmer weather.. keeping up the RPM above NORMAL cruise will Help engine NOT ping or Knock.. Don't try Fast increases in speed,,, Take time and go at it GENTLY..

Don't FILL the tank all the way with LOW octane,, Use JUST enough to get you home OR to the Next Station that Has the Better high octane fuel.. Then top tank off with the high ...

I have added Diesel/Kerosene at 40/1 to SLOW the fuel burn in low octane so I can use it but with todays bikes with 02 sensors, that is Not a good thing to add to fuel...

signed....BUBBIE

Hi folks.
I am a new Harley owner after having had several Gold wings and have a couple questions. I see where it recommends i burn 91 octane fuel in my 09 Ultra. Is that something i have to do or is 87 ok???
Also i have that security business and am not sure how you most of you use that. Do you even carry a key with you to lock front end etc. or do you rely on that security fob? I plan on switching my gas tank lid to a push button thing so i wont need a key for that. Sorry for all the rookie questions.
thanks

Craigs, welcome to the HDTimeline forum and your first post. Quite honestly, what I do is find the "ping" point when the bike is under heavy acceleration in 1 gear too high.

With modern EFI, this is hard to do, as the EFI & ECM electronics will start to retard the timing in a short while, so that metallic sound will only be heard in fairly quiet environment, when canyon scratching or riding 2-UP ladened. If you choose not to go through the trouble, you can "mix" 89 (mid grade) and 91 (premium) 50/50 as the bike is "fault tolerant" because of this modern innovation. :hii

Regarding key and fob security...use both...H-D motorcycles are still a very popular item regarding theft. Fuel tank lid included...and not a rookie question...your ride, you decide. But you will not like the sinking feeling when you go out and find an empty parking spot where a 2009 bike was sitting. :shock

Hi folks.
I am a new harley owner after having had several goldwings and have a couple questions. I see where it recomends i burn 91 octane fuel in my 09 Ultra. Is that something i have to do or is 87 ok???
Also i have that security business and am not sure how you most of you use that. Do you even carry a key with you to lock front end etc. or do you rely on that security fob? I plan on switching my gas tank lid to a push button thing so i wont need a key for that. Sorry for all the rookie questions.
thanks
I burn the highest octane at the pump, 91-93. As many have posted, I always lock my fork if my bike will be out of my sight. As for carrying the key, unless your bike's gas tank cover has been upgraded, you'll most likely need the key to open it. In addition, it's not a bad idea to keep back up batteries for your FOB on your bike, as well as carrying your 'cheater card' and security code if you need to manually enter such. Great choice of bike, enjoy!

Hi folks.
I am a new harley owner after having had several goldwings and have a couple questions. I see where it recomends i burn 91 octane fuel in my 09 Ultra. Is that something i have to do or is 87 ok???
thanks

Craigs,
Good for you, You've read the manual! You're already a step ahead! You're also right in questioning the manual. Look at this sight and see how many on this sight really use the H-D recommended lubricants.
However... about gas. Even if your bike will run on lower octane, do you really want to feed it less than optimum fuel? I also have a new bike and I like the idea that I'm doing the best I can to keep it running it's best.

I have the same alarm on my bike and yes, I carry both the key and fob with me at all times, in different pockets! If one or the other isn't available a bad guy is gonna have more difficulty stealing it. Locking my bike also helps prevent mischief. The only time I leave the forks and ignition switch unlocked is when I can see it through the window.

Also, get acquainted with the bypass procedure and code. It might come in handy if you leave the fob somewhere or the battery dies and you have to move your bike. The procedure is easier than you might think!

From one Rookie to another!

I'm in Germany...we're lucky here...so I put 95 in my bike all the time...my bike will hate me when I get back to North America and have to put 91-93 in her....as far as locks.....I lock my front wheel with a harley Disc lock ...my real wheel has a the big heavy Chain Lock from Harley, Steering lock, Ignition lock and then I have a 10 Ft cable and lock to tie off on something fixed or lock a few bikes together.....theft is a huge problem here....you can steal a bike in germany and be in three different countries in about 20 mins.....also people have had their houses broken into and house ransacked for the keys and then the bikes stolen.....and forget about going into a store/restaurant....cause there are teams of dudes driving around looking for bikes of opportunity......if I can't pull up and park and sit on the patio, I don't stop.....

Welcome to the Forum and your first post. IMO you have already made a good decision by reading your owners manual, there is a lot of info there that too many just dont take the time to read, I always run the highest octane gas I can find mostly Shell or Chevron, if I am forced to run less than 91, i will use just enough to get me yo a better gas station and I have used [URL="http://exit.hdtimeline.com/postid345796"]Genuine Fuel Additive, 99893-91A, Formulated with Duralt Fuel Compound which permits the [/URL] with good results Read no ping with lesser grade gas:s

Thanks for all the replies. I live in a little town in Iowa and 87 gas is all that is available but i can see to it that i only fuel where 91k octane is available.
When we travel we always lock bike when leaving it so the key and the fob thing together is a good idea. I am not real security minded, i guess. I wouldnt have a clue where our house key even is. Anyway thanks for all your help.
craig

Back