Votes: 47 13.4%
  • Quality is falling off just recently.

Votes: 47 13.4%
  • Poor quality overall.

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Too many offshore parts now.

Votes: 52 14.9%

• Total voters
Love harley bikes, Im on my third, but some dealers make it hard sometimes. I think Harley needs to do surprise customer service checks. Pretend to be a customer and visit random stores to get first had experience as to how tech's answer questions and how your treated at the counter. Most are good places but some are just not worth the trouble.

I've thought this very same thing for a long time. It makes so much sense, would provide valuable information for the MoCo, and would keep dealerships on the up and up. I've had far too many "attitude" issues at Dealership Service departments, and they couldn't care less.

I have first hand exp. since november. My gas tank was replaced because of paint. This was an issue that the painter new he was wrong and should have started over, you can not patch the custom colors(Teq/HD org) I replaced floorboards with black ones and found the oem board was bent before chromed, I figured that how it flopped and fit till I took it off and it didn't lay flat, got a new one, the pair is for sale.

The paint is much better/thicker than many things, my $60K GMC scratches when you stare at it.

I hope when someone says the best on the road, it is because they have first hand exp. with others....
I had more quality issues in this new HD as delivered than all my metrics all their life, and mine held their resale the same or better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my HD but I also like my BMW R1200RT and my Suzuki Bandit 1250 GT. I don't have the national loyalty issue as I don't live in the USA so I can try to be objective without being unpatriotic - maybe I should buy a Triumph and perhaps I will next time I change bike. The paint has flaked off the rear fender of my 2009 garaged and polished 1200 Sportster, the rear bearings have gone at 5,000 on a bike always garaged and never jet-washed. The Japanese bike has had a few issues as well but very few and I haven't had the German long enough to comment.

Nobody's perfect and the same goes for bikes leaving romance and subjectivity to one side. That said, I love that Sportster and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. It's the least practical of my bikes but it's got more soul and character than the other two big speed/big touring bikes combined and it gives me more smiles.

It's too early to tell for me. I've only had mine for 5 months and the last bike I had was back in the early 90s (1989 Honda Pacific Coast). Had zero problems with that, except people thought it was a large scooter. I hated the looks of it after the first month and it was so quiet that I couldn't tell if it was still running at stop lights.:small3d031:

In the "old days" I experienced my share of issues forcing and sometimes literally pushing the Shovel, Pan and Knuckle through road trips, but we always got where we were going. But in fairness I was a bit hard on them!

I'm thrilled to say I just completed a quest of 38,000 miles over an extended period through a challenging environment on my 08 Fat Boy. I checked the weather forecast often, not to see if it was ok to leave, but rather to be prepared for whatever I was going to be riding through.

Other than wheel bearings going out at 17 k & 34 k, not once did I have a fault I would relate to the manufacturer, and fault is debatable. Well, the starter has been occasionally lagging lately when hot, but I hardly consider that an issue. Only once did I have to haul the bike for a repair due to a beating from road conditions.

Being in some of the most remote and desolate places you can imagine the joy I felt each time I hit the starter and the bike fired to life and rolled on flawlessly.

Today I am in absolute awe to have it run and ride as sweet as the first day.

From all the issues noted in these forums I feel very fortunate. There may be a lemon in each basket, but not mine. What could have been a real misfortune was one of my greatest riding adventures.

Well done HD.

people who state the best on the road have not experienced other rider. the new touring victory bay far better than the harley. i am a police office and just returned from the michigan testing for new bikes for the police. the harley scored the worst in every category the victory, and bmw were the best. but it is what it is it say HD so it must be good?

Well, I picked quality falling off just recently. 19,456 miles on my Dyna since bought new in June of 2011 , only real issue has been bad fork seals. So why did I pick that? Seen too many issues with other brand new bikes, ie- electrical issues on several Ultra Glides; wheel bearing issues on all models; neck bearing issues on Softails, etc. And my valve train is/has been one of the loudest I've ever heard on any type of bike. Turns out HD went to Mexican made Lifters in 2010, some are really loud, like mine. Points up the problem: in attempting to keep profit margin, HD is out sourcing too cheapest bidder that can meet minimum specs, with all the attendant vendor to assembly line quality control issues this entails. Don't fault the engineering, actually impressive for air head engine with half an antique design to meet EPA standards and still be at least marginally ride-able stock, but if MoCo isn't careful, pursuit of healthy bottom line will put them back into full AMF mode; if so, will the faithful remain so this time around, in this economic climate?

I have an 09 Sportster 1200C and will be having the front and rear fenders painted for the 3rd time and the front exhaust gasket replaced for the 2nd time. After talking to the guys in a HD dealership and they agree that quality was better prior to the major manufacturing changes that were made in 2007.

Back