Votes: 47 13.4%
  • Quality is falling off just recently.

Votes: 47 13.4%
  • Poor quality overall.

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Too many offshore parts now.

Votes: 52 14.9%

• Total voters
I have no problem with the quality of my TG, It does i want it to do.
Sure are there some things I'll like to change, I think that's the case with any vehicle. Lets face it if a manufacturer added on everything everyone wanted added on you would end up with a Homer.::s

The quality of my 2004 XL1200R is just fine, but from what I have seen of the newest models, I can see a falling off the quality. I think it was bought up in the H-D video on quality awhile back...welds on the tank seam for instance...using technology in ways not to the benefit of the performance of the bike (centralized network processing in the electronics means single point of failure more likely to kill that particular configuration. Think aircraft technology...more processors acting independently but in concert as one is better than a central backbone without backup system design. Welded multi-piece cranks mean no possibility of scissoring, there are things that can be improved to keep the machine reliable AND economically sustainable.

Quality is not only about materials and workmanship, but also timely delivery at a reasonable price. Quality is free only if done right the first time...experience has shown that using plastic in certain areas improves manufacturablilty, but impacts reliability. Outsourcing means the Quality has to carry forward to the suppliers...

While I have my first Harley (2009 1200 low) and so cannot compare to other models, I can make a comparison to my previous Suzuki 750. The Harley is solidly built and up to this point I have had zero issues. Couldn't be happier and now wish I had made the shift years ago.

I have an '03 Ultra with 32,000 miles on her. She runs fine, especially since I put the TFI on at the end of the summer. The fit and finish has stood the test of 9 years.
But, I do have a quality issue with condensation forming on the gauges. For crying out loud how many different models, and how many years have to go by before they get it right? Sheesh!
To a larger extent, I have been saving my $$$ for the inevitable cam chain tensioner that is prone to fail on my years model.
All in all, my bike doesn't nickel & dime me to death with constant repairs and has given me many, many enjoyable therapeutic rides! :)
So I would have to say that I am satisfied with the overall quality for the money.

My Ultra ( bought used) has been trouble-free. I did relocate the main circuit breaker from it's original position. I removed it from the heat. I had it fail on me twice when I first got the motorcycle. Even after the factory recall 'upgrade', the heat caused the breaker to fail. Since relocating it, no problem at all.
The bike has been 100% reliable. My pride and joy to own and ride it. Also loved my 83 Roadster before this Ultra. I like most all bikes but love my Harley/s.

Wow I don't know how to answer this poll. My 2007 heritage, in my opinion, runs good but I don't like the sounds it makes. The compensator "bang" if I want it fixed I have to buy the SE. It runs to hot to fix it I have to buy pipes, A/C and a fuel tuner. There are many examples cams are another. The motor company recommends these changes and provides parts for all these changes. Shouldn't a motorcycle be the best it can be with the quality parts in it when you but it? My opinion is it isn't the quality product it should be! :(
Agree, shouldn't have to rip the bike apart to repair poor engineering to keep it safe to ride. (Ex. cam tensioners on an 06)

I don't exactly know what HD did to the neck/rake on the newer bikes but compared to my 07 Ultra, the 12 seems to be a lot nimbler. There is a very slight wobble on decel around 35 mph and the dealer says the neck bearings and fall off is perfect. Got a new tire on it too. No difference. The 103" motor is a Godsend! Low end torque cannot be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk V1.12.2

not just harley its all the manufactures. using plastic for everything. my 79 EL was built very well indeed. now there have been great inovations in the newer machines but would a new 2012 EL Last as long as a 79 If taken care of and used the same. I have my doubts bout that. Things used to be built to stand the test of time. They were made to stand up to a little more abuse. I remember rakeing my jacket over the paint and not scratching it. Now I feel like I have to be very carful with everything on the bike or it will break. I think they are built to trade in 5 years down road now. I still love my bike and its very dependable but its only 6 yrs old. time will tell

Back