free website stats program Harley Owners Group National Coin? | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Owners Group National Coin?

billyd1

I was just wondering how many people on here are going to "bite" on the new Harley Owners Group National Coin and what the penalty would be for not having it in your possession when challenged?:coffee Isaw it on page 15 of this years 004 HOG rag.

Somehow I missed that article, I am going to have te research this one.

just read the article, I will probably buy it. But as far as the "challenge", I do not see anyone in our chapter doing that. But I will support the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been in the military almost 24 years now, our tradition is that a coin is earned ... not bought. Although the younger generation is now buying them, I won't. If I am challenged with a HOG coin, I'll be more than happy to produce a coin of my own. Just be prepared to buy everyone a round from your stupidity.

Interesting...I hadn't thought that they would use challenge coins for the local/national HOG chapters...who'd a thunk...

Like several others, I think buying the coin is kinda strange to me...at least for a coin that I would carry to either challenge or show if challenged....

I have many coins I've collected through the years, those most important to me were given/presented to me for either a deployment or specific achievement that mean something to me...

csmhog I just wanted to reply to your thoughts on the coin, I know for a fact that I paid my dues and been thru ten thousand miles of crap to get my harley, it wasn't just given to me I earned it with hard work, dedication, and puting up with having to work for a living so I could have this luxury. I don't know if I will get the coin but I know I earned one even if I do have to buy one for myself.

Walleye:

I don't know the exact traditions of all the military branches except the USMC, but here goes:

Usually, coins are minted with a specific military unit that you belong to and are given out for specific actions or accomplishments or even on a unit basis...meaning, you check into the new unit and are given the coin as a kind of welcome aboard.

Then, say you're at the club or a bar or whatever, and one of your buddies in your unit produces the coin and challenges you to produce yours, if you don't for whatever reason, you owe that person the drink of his/her choice.

Some of the military coins are cool...one of mine for example was for working with VMA-223, a Harrier attack squadron. Back in the mists dating to WWII, the squadron was very active in the island campaign...then the squadron commander commissioned Walt Disney to design the squadron logo of a bulldog wearing boxing gloves and it has been the unit's logo since, and called the Great American Bulldogs. Each of our coins was presented to us, each is serialized, and a certificate accompanied them. Kinda cool....

VACharvel, sounds VERY cool. Something you earned and were presented with. A bit different than a HD Coin you have to buy!:s I won't be buying any drinks as a result of not producing one, but I will buy you and any other good standing Vet a drink anytime.

Thanks Walleye...much appreciated my friend and hopefully I shed some light on the whole challenge coin question you had.

Here's the VMA-223 squadron patch with the logo:

images

I've been a big fan of WWII aircraft art for a long time, and being with a few squadrons really was a lot of fun and learned a lot from the pilots.

Back