free website stats program Harley LCD dipstick | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley LCD dipstick

My bike had the LCD dipstick. It was wrong, and broken apart. I got lucky that the metal piece came out without losing the ball bearings into the engine. My suggestion is get rid of it if you have it. Yeah, yeah, I'm new, but junk is junk. I wouldn't trust it with what I saw of it today.
Tony

My bike is a 2003. It came with the LCD dipstick. It's doesn't read the oil level, it's the older model but I still have it and it works fine. I can't speak for others who seem to have their share of problems all I can say is mine is trouble free. In fact I was considering buying the type that reads the oil level because it is handy, and like someone said, you don't burn your hand when checking the oil.

My bike had the LCD dipstick. It was wrong, and broken apart. I got lucky that the metal piece came out without losing the ball bearings into the engine. My suggestion is get rid of it if you have it. Yeah, yeah, I'm new, but junk is junk. I wouldn't trust it with what I saw of it today.
Tony

What ball bearings??????

I have been using the LCD Dipstick for two years. Being a worry wart and resistant to technology I kept checking it against the former dipstick. I also have checked its readings against my sons bio-engineering thermometers and have found MINE to be fairly accurate. I run synthetic oil and with temperature expansion you will see the oil level rise as it gets hotter. On a hot day an engine oil temp around 250 F. degrees is within the norm on my 2002 Road King Classic. It has also notified me when an oil leak occurred as i have a habit of pressing the button anytime i stop while cruising. Got the low oil level warning once with a leaking O ring around drain plug and a higher than normal engine oil temp. Thumbs up from me on the LCD but I can be corrupted if you buy the beer.

The previous owner installed a LCD Dipstick and I have used it for about 10 months now and it has been on the bike for at least 2 years. I find it to be accurate and so easy to keep track of oil level. Hope I don't have any issues, but it is a great accessory based on my experience.:bigsmiley12:

What ball bearings??????

I've never had one of these apart but I think the stick moves in the head, display, top or whatever you want to call it. Maybe it's made with ball bearings in there for this movement? Picture possibly?

Sorry for the late reply- there's little ball bearings around the outside of the dipstick, looked like about 12 of them. Small. Maybe they're what the dipstick uses to secure it on the bike? I can't give a pic, the dipstick went in the trash. If you turn it upside down, you'll see where the inner part of the LCD housing can split from the aluminium outer. That's where mine was broken, the outer housing stuck in the bike with the rest popping out whenever you start or rev the bike. I've read several other posts on other HD forums regarding these, same experiences I had.

Tony

Sorry for the late reply- there's little ball bearings around the outside of the dipstick, looked like about 12 of them. Small. Maybe they're what the dipstick uses to secure it on the bike? I can't give a pic, the dipstick went in the trash. If you turn it upside down, you'll see where the inner part of the LCD housing can split from the aluminium outer. That's where mine was broken, the outer housing stuck in the bike with the rest popping out whenever you start or rev the bike. I've read several other posts on other HD forums regarding these, same experiences I had.

Tony

Don't know where you are coming from, had one of the LCD dip stick apart and there is no bearing in it.

Back