free website stats program Harley LCD dipstick | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley LCD dipstick

turnerbend

Got the LCD Harley dipstick on my 07 Ultra Classic. I change oil and filter about 2 weeks ago. I put 3 and 1/2 quarts in and start engine to get oil pressure. Good pressure and no leaks, added oil to get good level on LCD dipstick and It took a total of about 3 and 3/4 quarts and level is reading overfill cold or hot. Should I put the complete 4 quarts in so engine will run cooler? Temp reading is about 349 degs on a 96 degs day. I don't think the LCD level indicator is accurate. Anybody experience this with the LCD????
Note: level is 3" in oil pan.

3 1/2 qt of oil is all you need to put in when doing a oil change, any more oil then that and you will get oil spitting out of the air cleaner. The HD LCD dip stick is pretty much junk IMO and it is not accurate on oil level or oil temp. I have one and I just pull the dipstick to get a good reading and I have a in dash oil temp gauge that gives me a accurate reading.

3 1/2 qt of oil is all you need to put in when doing a oil change, any more oil then that and you will get oil spitting out of the air cleaner. The HD LCD dip stick is pretty much junk IMO and it is not accurate on oil level or oil temp. I have one and I just pull the dipstick to get a good reading and I have a in dash oil temp gauge that gives me a accurate reading.

Agreed.

3 1/2 quarts of oil should be right, as far as the temp you are seeing I would check that against a known good thermometer I dont trust it as being accurate JMO

Got the LCD Harley dipstick on my 07 Ultra Classic. I change oil and filter about 2 weeks ago. I put 3 and 1/2 quarts in and start engine to get oil pressure. Good pressure and no leaks, added oil to get good level on LCD dipstick and It took a total of about 3 and 3/4 quarts and level is reading overfill cold or hot. Should I put the complete 4 quarts in so engine will run cooler? Temp reading is about 349 degs on a 96 degs day. I don't think the LCD level indicator is accurate. Anybody experience this with the LCD????

I said 349 degs but I meant 249 degs. My bad........

I typed 349 degs but I meant 249 degs. My bad.......

I have used the LCD dipstick for a number of years and I find it handy. I don't burn my hand when checking oil level. Just push the button.
Handy because it will tell you if the oil level is too low or too high.
Had my oil changed in California before making a run back to Iowa. The indy shop put in too much oil. The LCD dipstick will give you a display that states "Oil level high".
Had to use my turkey baster to suck enough oil out to get the correct level.
Darn liter bottles! Some mechanics can't get the correct amount in when using the liter bottles.

Back