free website stats program Harley going to Liquid Cooling for 2012? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley going to Liquid Cooling for 2012?

I just received an e mail and it said that the infirmation was coming from paper work that HD sent to California in planning their new models that need to meet CARB.
Will have to wait for the MoCo to provide concrete answers. My feeling is that the water cooled engines will come eventually and that all the negative issues will be solved and the classic feel will still be there.
Let's not be afraid of progress, we could all still be riding Knuckleheads!

If it was not for the Knucklehead Motor we would not be here today:s

If it was not for the Knucklehead Motor we would not be here today:s

My point exactly. We all like model T's but the new cars are better. We liked the knucklehead's but the twin cams are a vast improvement. Let's hope that when water cooling comes it is evolutionary not revolutionary:bigsmiley11:

Well, I see this thread is still going. I love um all Knuckles, Pans, Shovels, Irons, Evos and TCs. (my Dad had an old Flat head, didn't really like the way they looked but I wasn't born yet so it didn't matter)

But even though I always feared that HD would go Water Cooled before I could own one and I would miss out on that authentic air cooled sound, now I don't have a problem at all with them going water cooled.

In fact the whole heat issue in extended traffic etc etc has made me look to water cooled for a second purchase Tourpak bike. Yea I know about how durable HD air cooled engines are etc etc, but the heat on my legs is horrible on my Dyna and I know in some scenarios of extended non movement running it's got to be detrimental to the engine life also.

And if HD can come out with water cooled then I will buy HD even if it cost more. Since currently considering all other facets, HD is worth more, or at least until I see the Metrics get the rest of their act together more.

If it was not for the Nova project and the VR 1000 we would not even have the V rod IMO

Why would the epa want bikes liquid cooled what environmental benefits could there be?

Water cooled gives the engine a much more constant temperature regardless of outside temperature. Once you have constant engine temperature you can optimize the air fuel ratio's across the board without engine damage with an incredible reduction in emissions.

Water cooled gives the engine a much more constant temperature regardless of outside temperature. Once you have constant engine temperature you can optimize the air fuel ratio's across the board without engine damage with an incredible reduction in emissions.

True....but the EPA will only regulate the emissions......not the technology that gets the motor to meet the emissions standard. Another poster stated the EPA is mandating liquid cooling.....I don't think that is the case. HD may eventually have to go to liquid cooling in order to get the emissions to standard but I don't think there will ever be a reg that "liquid cooling" is mandatory. Maybe someone else out there can prove me wrong.

On another note I hope they stay air cooled......with options for liquid cooling for those who prefer it. I drive a high technology car around enough of the time.....when I'm on the bike I like the simplicity of it all.....the heritage of a historic motor and only hearing the thumping of the v twin.....not the whirring of a water pump and all that goes with it.

Another poster stated the EPA is mandating liquid cooling.....I don't think that is the case.

I agree. The EPA would not mandate liquid cooling. As long as the Moco gets the engines to meet spec is all that matters. The thing is the MoCo is running out of ways out of ways to get the emissions down to the numbers the EPA wants while using air cooling. I am not up on the laws regarding emissions but I would bet all of the motorcycle exemptions are getting near their end. Exemptions such as measuring CO & HC as PER MILE pollution vs actual running amounts. The big killer for the air cooled guys is steady state emissions vs combined stop and go emissions. We are not too bad under fixed steady state cruise emissions but under stop & go emissions, we are a mess.

Having just an 18,000 miles warranty on our motorcycle catalytic converters really says it all about the challenges facing the MoCo and how hard it is to get them within the specs the EPA wants. Deep down inside they know the cat will be trash in short order.

Why would the epa want bikes liquid cooled what environmental benefits could there be?

Noise and able to run leaner. So they are quieter and less emissions. Ooh and cost more to purchase.

Back