free website stats program Harley Engine Lifespan | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Engine Lifespan

You are missing the point. It is not about quality, Japan or China. It is about American jobs. We all need to support American companies. True HD has too many parts made in China, one is too many, but at least the corporate money stays here. Thats why I buy only HD, and one of the three American cars. We can't avoid all the imports or we would not survive....but we need to do what we can. I hope all here will.
Sorry to read so many parts of HD are made in China. I thought it was mainly home-grown. I don't even live in USA (I live in England) but I've seen how the decimation of a nation's manufacturing base leaves you wide open to bad things happening. I'm enormously proud to be a HD owner and fair play to Harley for being a patriotic company - just look at the brand loyalty! How many companies in the USA can claim that?

That's what I keep telling people who work for Honda manf. in America. They say that Honda provides jobs. Yes they do, but the big money from your sweat goes back to Japan.

HD, home grown, home built, ridden worldwide, with pride.

Hi There Harley Folk,

I'm new to H-Ds but I have an XL 883 Sportster which is the best and happiest money I've ever spent. I love it soooooo much.
I have a question some of you more experienced guys might be able to help me with:
do you advise:
1. draining fuel out of gas tank before winter storage
2. leaving gas in the tank and not worrying about it
3. putting in a fuel stabilizer with the gas in the tank or
4. some other suggestion I haven't thought of

Any tips would be very welcome.

Cedarbrook63:s

I can't say, I don't have any idea how long the real cold weather is in your neck of the woods, Long, put some sta-bil in your tank, ...moderate, put enough in your tank to get to a station...Light...fill it up and ride it every chance you get...they run sooo good when it's cold...if you leave it empty for long spells the likelyhood of rust dust collecting on the inside is pretty good...I've lived in the freezer fo 4 months each year, never worried about it, kept, full tanks and rode every chance I got...:small3d008:
Good answer. Thanks for that. Weather's not so hard in southern England so sounds like the best option is to keep riding that great bike.
Thanks.

Always store the bike with a full tank of gas. Add sta-bil if you aren't riding regularly.

I made it a habit to top off on the way home from a ride so it was full all the time. Next time out, you don't have to head for a station right off and it minimizes rust in the tank doing this.

Why I don't buy Japanese vehicles...IMO
1. I stood on the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor, 1300 names on the wall, most of whom are still there some 30 below in a watery grave.
2. Ever see a flatbed truck going down the road with a load of squashed cars, it's going to a chipper to be shredded into 1" cubes to be shipped to Japan amongst other places, where it is re-smelted to make parts for many things but predominently vehicles. 2 words...metal fatigue, how many times can a bar of iron be melted down before it's simply dust. You may say so what if my gas tank is made from an old Dodge or that computer I threw out last year is hanging off my right quarter panel. And those gears in your transmission...
3. As an Ironworker in Cleveland Ohio I made alot of money doing maintenance at any one of the steel mills. In 2000 when the steel mills of Cleveland went under 200 of us lost their jobs and had to rely on the Union Hall (as a hiring agent) for work, with the economy the way it was, not alot of building happening. The steel mills went under because the U.S. manufacturers could not compete with the foriegn steel producers, cars, MC's washing machines...etc...are all using re-smelted steel.
4. I am an American and as such I believe that I'd rather see an American working than a foriegner.
It's your money, spend it as you will...JMHO...
Next time your out of work and hungry, go take a bite out of your Goldwing...

Then don't take apart your Harley You will be surprised how many parts are from Japan. Lower forks, Starters, Carbs brakes housings and this is just to name a few.
Now I will think twice about buying a Harley when I start finding made in China parts on them.

Back