free website stats program "Harley Elbow"? | Harley Davidson Forums

"Harley Elbow"?

Merlynn

I came across this expression in another post. Not sure exactly what he meant by it but I think I have it. An ache in my elbow after riding my Road King for a while. Never noticed it on my sportster. I'm guessing my handlebars aren't right. It's an 07 FLHR with stock handlebars and I'm 5'6".

Anyone changed handlebars to fix this problem? What did you go with?

Factory roadking bars give me an ache in my neck and back from reaching out for them so switched to buckhorn bars and now I get Harley elbow from riding with my elbows bent, can't win I guess. I'm 6-1 so height should not be the problem with the stock bars there just out there to far. I had the same problem on my sporty when I switched to buckhorns on it also but the riding position the buckhorns give me is comfy on the back and neck with highway pegs (spinal fusion some years back).

My experience of these kinds of aches and pains is that they are in large part a result of my aging body and declining muscle mass. (I'm pushing 60.) I've had several similar problems, e.g., "briefcase elbow." In every case, fixing the biomechanical problem was NOT sufficient. What did work was getting back to the gym and lifting weights to strengthen the muscles around the affected joint. I'm not talking about becoming Arnold...just getting back the strength and tone that should be there.

I've spent a fair amount of time discussing this with orthopedic surgeons, physical therapists, and personal trainers. The consensus view tends to concur with my observations.

Hope this helps!

I too am pushing 60. I dont have any problem yet ,but I remember the first time I had to push my ride, almost lost it.
I couldn't believe how heavy 800 lbs was.
I now try work out 20-30 minutes each day doing stretches and working out with my weights.
No more than 40 - 60 lbs. I just want to get some strength back. It has been at least 1 month since I started working out and I have noticed a difference.
My wife has also noticed :bigsmiley14:

My experience of these kinds of aches and pains is that they are in large part a result of my aging body and declining muscle mass. (I'm pushing 60.) I've had several similar problems, e.g., "briefcase elbow." In every case, fixing the biomechanical problem was NOT sufficient. What did work was getting back to the gym and lifting weights to strengthen the muscles around the affected joint. I'm not talking about becoming Arnold...just getting back the strength and tone that should be there.

I've spent a fair amount of time discussing this with orthopedic surgeons, physical therapists, and personal trainers. The consensus view tends to concur with my observations.

Hope this helps!

Well since my riding position feels comfortable that sounds like the culprit. My primary workout prior to getting the bike was light strength training and riding my Trek bicycle. Since I got back into riding I've been neglecting the exercise. I also picked up a few pounds - Live to Ride, Ride to Eat. I guess at 52 I can't afford that anymore. Oh well the Gym is cheaper than handlebars!

Cheers!

Well since my riding position feels comfortable that sounds like the culprit. My primary workout prior to getting the bike was light strength training and riding my Trek bicycle. Since I got back into riding I've been neglecting the exercise. I also picked up a few pounds - Live to Ride, Ride to Eat. I guess at 52 I can't afford that anymore. Oh well the Gym is cheaper than handlebars!

Cheers!

LOL. I hear ya! I've made the the working out fun...both personal trainers I've used are young, cute, and female. It really helps with the motivation! :s

I came across this expression in another post. Not sure exactly what he meant by it but I think I have it. An ache in my elbow after riding my Road King for a while. Never noticed it on my sportster. I'm guessing my handlebars aren't right. It's an 07 FLHR with stock handlebars and I'm 5'6".

Anyone changed handlebars to fix this problem? What did you go with?
I'm guessing, at 5'6" you may find a narrower and closer bar more to your liking. The King does spread you out some..:D
Harley has a bar for that.

Take a look at the Road King High Handlebar.
Part number 55954-00, they still look stock but have a taller rise.

It wasen't the rise that was getting to me on my Roadking it was the reach I installed 4 inch risers with 1.5 inch pullback then the buckhorn bars. Now the chrome handlebar clamp cover they have was a problem with this conversion but the dremel came in real handy.

Back