free website stats program Harley Dealers to quit selling on ebay and Amazon | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Dealers to quit selling on ebay and Amazon

Interesting.
I had an experience recently where the dealer five miles from my house was selling a new item on eBay. When I inquired about buying it and picking it up, saving the 10 bucks on shipping, I received a curt reply that they were not in the business of competing with the parts counter and I'd have to pay for shipping.

Ah, I see, so you advertise the part cheaper than your parts counter then make up for it on the back end via the shipping, huh. This, to me almost smacks of a bait and switch tactic.

This dealers reply and attitude not only lost the sale but lost me as a customer. I say glad the MoCo is reeling them in, and adios!

Interesting.
I had an experience recently where the dealer five miles from my house was selling a new item on eBay. When I inquired about buying it and picking it up, saving the 10 bucks on shipping, I received a curt reply that they were not in the business of competing with the parts counter and I'd have to pay for shipping.

Ah, I see, so you advertise the part cheaper than your parts counter then make up for it on the back end via the shipping, huh. This, to me almost smacks of a bait and switch tactic.

This dealers reply and attitude not only lost the sale but lost me as a customer. I say glad the MoCo is reeling them in, and adios!

I'm not sure if Ebay changed their rules, but used to be the sellers paid a fee based on cost of item, shipping and handling not included in the fee. So if the seller lowers the cost of the item and charges more for shipping, they pay less in fees to Ebay. Lot of items out there for 1 cent but shipping is outrageous. :newsmile055:

It's true. Deeley is causing their own problems with this.

I priced out a clutch assembly at the local dealer: $810
Same part at a US dealer: $525
Price from M&M Cycles: $410 plus $15 shipping
Guess where I bought? :D
Went to Fargo for the weekend and brought it home under my 48 hour exemption so I didn't pay the 2 taxes (12% or $97) that I would have paid at the local dealer.

I'm not a big fan of Ebay, but I do use Amazon a lot! I use their 'Prime' shipping and get most of my stuff second day delivery no shipping charges. Just got a Curt hitch for the wife's Toyota for $150 to my door in 2 days when the dealer wanted $380 (plus a 10 day wait before it would be at the parts counter). Amazon is set up to allow businesses to have a internet sales outlet that is at the top of most search results... Hate to sound like an ad for Amazon, but it saves me big bucks - hope Harley reconsiders.

I'm not a big fan of Ebay, but I do use Amazon a lot! I use their 'Prime' shipping and get most of my stuff second day delivery no shipping charges. Just got a Curt hitch for the wife's Toyota for $150 to my door in 2 days when the dealer wanted $380 (plus a 10 day wait before it would be at the parts counter). Amazon is set up to allow businesses to have a internet sales outlet that is at the top of most search results... Hate to sound like an ad for Amazon, but it saves me big bucks - hope Harley reconsiders.

I shop Amazon too, however just tried to purchase a BBQ from Amazon for $78.00 and it qualified for the free shipping. ordered it then was perusing the email bill and it had a shipping charge of $35.00 tacked on. there was no customer service number that I could find to call so I immdeiately cancelled the order. Found the same BBQ on ebay $82.00 free shipping. Paid 82 bucks and now i have a great lil bbq.

Really sad the lack of vision H-D has...how do they think a lot of their International business comes from? Closing the door on a global doorway is silly in this day and age...! While it is true I CHOOSE to not use E-bay or Amazon most of the time...if you deal with an H-D dealer who offers discounting what could be bad...for the consumer anyway?

Really sad the lack of vision H-D has...how do they think a lot of their International business comes from? Closing the door on a global doorway is silly in this day and age...! While it is true I CHOOSE to not use E-bay or Amazon most of the time...if you deal with an H-D dealer who offers discounting what could be bad...for the consumer anyway?

Thats the problem right there. Corporations don't care about the consumer anymore. Only care about the bottom line, quarterly profits, shareholders (sometimes), and year end bonuses. If they're not making money off of online sales, they don't want anyone to.

"Customer is always right"
(as long as you have a big enough checkbook)
:newsmile08:​

Are we sure this isn't more about keeping a level playing field between big dealers and small dealers. There should be no difference in buying on ebay from adealer or buying online, on a dealers website. If a dealer can sell parts at a discount, then he can beat out the other guy. ebay only offers a quick and easy place to compare prices. You can still do that by typing in your part number in google and up pops listings and prices. Not as many as ebay, but your hands are not completely tied. As stated a while back, if the Moco looses too much profit, the will change it back.

I had forgotten all about this. I just did a quick search on ebay of a few dealers from which I've purchased. It seems like all but one are only selling clothes and associated items. I only saw one that had any bike parts and they only had a couple of items listed.

Dealers were closed yesterday so I'm wondering if the parts I saw listed will be pulled from ebay.

dont seem fair to me....my dealer sells more on ebay than over the counter,at least on the clothing part.So is Harley trying to kill the foriegn dealers off then???

Back