free website stats program Harley Dealers to quit selling on ebay and Amazon | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Dealers to quit selling on ebay and Amazon

I`v purchase a lot of H-D part`s off ebay, I saved $175.00 on a complete sissy bar and rack by buying the part`s off of ebay. All the part`s came in new sealed H-D boxes too.

The problem could likely be that that some dealers are not savy enough to sell on ebay and are calling foul to the Moco because a few dealers are able to reach their customers from accross the country and take their business.

It's all about protecting HD dealer's individual sales territories. One HD dealer discounting parts and selling more product hurts other dealers that can't compete. I know because living in Canada (even with a dollar well above par with the US dollar) we pay 25% more than in The States. If they aren't careful the aftermarket producers will start picking up more online sales and HD parts will be sitting on shelves at dealerships.

If the aftermarket guys get bigger and the Moco continues to shrink it will kill the brand. Bad news for everyone! The best balance is a balance. Tough to strike this balance in an increasingly complex world.

IMHO

the other problem, I don't know if HD is like this, but using walmart for example, in my county, we have 2 walmarts less than 15 miles apart. The One in Sequim WA's merchandise is priced more(higher) than the same products at the Port Angeles WA one. I asked teh manager about this and was told taht some prices are based on the financial tax base of the region...Sequim is full of higher income and retiree's, Port Angeles is a lower income city. Are HD Dealerships along the same note? I would rather pay less and wait a week for shipment.

sounds like coporate hd got it right to stop FLEA BAY sales-- its a scam from a-z . i've quit buying there-- i'll even go so far as to say if one makes 10 purchases og m/c parts from flea bay--they'll get burned 3 outta 10. i know i have.

Never had a problem with buying parts for any of my bikes on ebay. HD is making a mistake stopping dealers from selling there. IMO, those that get burned on ebay have not done there homework., Besides, ebay and paypal have policies in place to make sure you get the item or you get your money back.

I don't shop at the stealerships. I get my parts online. Same parts, better pricing.

I'll just say that I've used e bay for a while and have never had a problem. I always look for the rating in the top left corner of the page and if it is not 95% or better check someone else. There are many legitimate stores that are small local stores that can't support a separate web presence. They use e bay to increase their sales to stay alive. Buying from them keeps local people working.

As far as the Harley corporate mandate not to sell on e bay there are several dealers that sell over the web at a discount Zannotti's and New Roc are two that I use regularly. I have told my local dealer that whenever they have a sale (usually 20% off) at the same price as the online discount dealers I will buy parts there, but they always will get my service work. It may be a coincidence but lately the local has been having more sales which means they move more parts and get more customers. Win win for everyone.

Oops, rating on e bay is top right not top left on page, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been a problem for HD dealers and the MoCo for sometime now , this restructure for parts is due to dealers profit , ther are a lot of HD dealers forsale ,and the MoCo company is trying to attract new dealers here in the states there is room for new dealerships in at least 3 states here in the US and abroad especialy Asia where the MoCo is heavy on expanding there dealerships, the bottm line is for the price a dealership cost they have to make it look profitable to entis prospective buyers of dealerships. beliive it or not this adds up to be big money a dealer can potentaly lose and the profit loss reflects the current state of this issue.this is the same reason that HD dealers will not put on a tire you did not buy from them. just dollors and cents .............

The dealers OUTSIDE of the USA have complained to the MoCO and from August 2011 USA dealers are not allowed to sell outside the USA see this:

Effective August 1, 2011, Harley-Davidson® has implemented a new policy where all U.S. dealers no longer can ship orders to an address outside of the United States. (APO/FPO addresses are excluded.) Please make plans now to place new orders before this date.

As a reminder, your international shipment cost does not include your government's Customs duty fees and taxes. These are collected by your Country on delivery of your order. It is not a payment to us, in any way. We are not able to declare a lower value or a "gift" for your order to avoid these taxes.

Dealers should still be able to sell on ebay within the USA but not deliver outside, unless to APO/FPO addresses.

Luckily I have some very good friends in the USA and I can buy and have delivered to them and they then send on to me.
icon14.gif

I buy lots of parts/motorclothes on e-bay...no problems. I am also a power seller on e-bay, so I know my way around.

My local dealership marks up parts 100% and motorclothes 200%, so I do most of my shopping online.

Back