free website stats program Harley Dealers going down. | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Dealers going down.

Well I went over and the doors were locked and I could not get the parts I ordered. At lease I didn't pay for them ahead of time.

makes you wonder how far this will go? Like others have said there are plenty of stealerships that probably deserve this fate. Wonder what the criteria and/or benchmark is for pulling the trigger? Also wonder when this will hit the financial sections of WSJ (or other)?

RichardS, so sorry to hear of the loss to a dealer as great as yours, I have come to respect them highly just from your opinions. Man I really hate to think the mothership is circling the wagons and picking off the weaklings (in their opinion).

makes you wonder how far this will go? Like others have said there are plenty of stealerships that probably deserve this fate. Wonder what the criteria and/or benchmark is for pulling the trigger? Also wonder when this will hit the financial sections of WSJ (or other)?

RichardS, so sorry to hear of the loss to a dealer as great as yours, I have come to respect them highly just from your opinions. Man I really hate to think the mothership is circling the wagons and picking off the weaklings (in their opinion).

My sales man in Minnesota told me that The MOCO keeps track of customer complaints and takes action against the Stealers when they reach a majic number dont know if this is still true today

I posted an overview on this site some time back about this: In the 1950's I know for sure a Dealer in Indiana told me it was commonplace for Dealers to make unsecured cash loans to each other for operating capital purposes. Reason? To help each other stay in business. The person that told me this would not fabricate such a story.

It seems they rejoiced in each others prosperity. Hence everybody stood to gain in the bigger picture of the business.

I have heard people speak of conducting business on a "handshake".

Sad to hear that they a being closed, even good companies that have been in business for many years can fail.
RichardS' comments about the way that they treated their customers does not always equate into bottom line profits. I can only speculate that if they were forced to close it must have to do with profitability and their ability comply with Moco's requirements. What ever the real cause it is sad to hear.

They closed one of the oldest dealers in my area down, another dealer was going to buy the shop, but HD said no they wanted it closed and they figured that the 2 closest shops to the one that closed would be enough to cover the closed one. Makes no sense to me and I do not know the circumstances as to why they closed either.

I have a HUGE update as to what is happening, having just got back a couple hours ago from RETRIEVING my bike with a rented truck from Millville HD.

To say it's a bad situation is an understatement, really.

I don't have the physical or spiritual strength to get into it right now, but I'll try to get on later and tell the story of my morning.

For now though, I'll tell you guys I did get the FXRT, and I am glad I went there this morning to get it. It was a real, true, bad experience but it's home and I just have to now find another dealer, that's all.

RichardS, Great to hear you got your bike back, sorry you had to rent a truck. I'm only 30 mins. from Millville and I have a enclosed trailer, could of picked you bike up for you, no big deal. Interesting to hear your story from Millville. Keep the info coming......Lew

WOW! Im Happy to say I have owned my 1959 Panhead for 42 years now....and it has never ever been in a Harley Dealership Service Dept!
Not even when it was New ...But I did buy a few Harley T shirts years ago! Do they come with a Warranty ?

Well, that is incredibly sad, and to tell the truth, just mind-boggling.

On a personal note, are you saying they are LOCKING THE DOORS??

What happens to all the bikes in the service department, including MINE??

This is a nightmare for them, I'm sure, but why would they have to immediately close the doors? Sam owns the building and the buisness....I understand he wouldn't be able to buy any more Harley inventory, but why does that translate into an instant lock of the doors??
Unfortunately they do have to close up and lock the doors. They are not allowed to remove customers bikes from the store or they'll be criminally charged. The bike will be taken to another dealership and the customer will be contacted.
It's a shame that dealers suffer because of the decisions the motor co makes. Alot of dealers feel the way the consumer does when it comes to pricing and they just follow the rules and it gets them nowhere. Very sad to see these 2 dealerships go. All of the years Millville have been around and HD is screwing them royally. I heard Wildwood will be opening back up but they won't be HD anymore. Do you believe they not only take the bikes, clothing parts etc but also their computers, light fixtures and whatever else is there. They strip them of everything so the dealer can't do business. Wildwood has alot of loyal customers who are supporting them in everyway possible

Back