free website stats program Harley Davidson Sidecar/Tourpack Amplifier | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Sidecar/Tourpack Amplifier

ChopperDoc

Around the time the twin-cams were coming out, HD came out with a Dealer installed upgrade for Ultras and Tour Pack equiped Classics using the sidecar (two channel) amplifier (HD # 76218-98) to boost the power to the rear seat-pod speakers.

My bike has the upgrade and I have every installation sheet for my bike except the one for the amp. I've looked everywhere and have decided they must not have given it to me.

I want to replace it with a four channel unit so I can run the fronts, rear pods and saddle bag speakers when the tour pack is on and the fronts and saddle bags when it isn't but have no idea how to retain the functions of the rear seat controls without a wiring diagram. I understand I won't have this function when the tour pack is off.

Does anyone have the instruction sheet for the upgrade? The Repair Manual shows sidecar wiring but the sidecar speakers are not controlled by the rear seat controls and the amp only powers the sidecar speakers.

I have that same amp bought a older tour pak but can't figure out which wire goes to whst? Hope someone will chim in? I would also like to know what wires are for what on the rear speaker control?

I dont have my manual handy should be able to get to it in a couple of days. If you need it sooner go to the dealer and ask him to make a copy of the wire diagram for you. Or if they will not do that ask them to look at it. I did a post on making your tour pak removable from a screaming eagle with amp.

Do a search or let me know if you still need me to look it up in my manual I have a 2009 road glide .

good luck

I dont have my manual handy should be able to get to it in a couple of days. If you need it sooner go to the dealer and ask him to make a copy of the wire diagram for you. Or if they will not do that ask them to look at it. I did a post on making your tour pak removable from a screaming eagle with amp.

Do a search or let me know if you still need me to look it up in my manual I have a 2009 road glide .

good luck
Jrbean1: If you mean the Service Manual - I have it and it only shows the amp as wired in the sidecar, not to the tourpak speakers.

Gmurdock: Let me do a little tracing and I can tell you what goes to what when used with the tourpak speakers and passenger controls. I haven't looked at the harness but I think it has a plug and play. If so, you would only need the harness. Hopefully it will have a part number on it. Give me a couple of days - right now I have four bikes in for full alignments and two for LEDs (love this winter work).

Here is the wire colors that come out of the speakers of the service manual I have. Its for 2009 touring models.

Left front speaker LGN/W neg
W/O pos.
right front speaker LGN/BK neg
GY/R pos

left sidecar speaker W/BN neg
BN pos
rigth sidecar speaker W/BN neg
BN pos

rear speakers right LGN/BN neg
GN post

left speaker left W/BN neg
BN pos

If this might help or pm and I will send you a copy of the diagrams
This was for 2009 Composite ultra audio circuit
Hope this helps
Jr

gmurdock: Here is the wiring for your amp. On the 23 pin amp connector (HD# 72383-98GY) - Position 1 To Left Rear Speaker Positive - Position 2 From Left Front Speaker Negative - Position 3 From Left Front Speaker Positive - Position 4 From right Front Speaker Negative - Position 5 From Right Front Speaker Positive - Position 7 To Right Rear Speaker Positive - Position 8 To Right Rear Speaker Negative - Position 9 To Left Rear Speaker Negative - Position 20 Ground - Position 21 12V Positive (Hot when radio is turned on). Left Speaker Pod wires run wire for wire bridged into you left handlebar controls, position 3 is vacant. Check your radios wiring diagram for proper connections under the faring.

You will need two, six-way male and two, six-way female connectors for your rear speaker pods along with the pins and sockets for them.

You also need the HD light wiring extension harness that brings the light plug to the outside of the pak (HD 70113-08 MSRP $13.95).

If you want I could make you up a harness with the 23 pin connector for the amp and the left and right pod connectors (from the amp) and you would only have to do the connections to the pod wires and those under your dash. I would need some idea of where you are locating the amp to do it.

Hope this helps.....

I said under the dash - should have said under the faring. Glad someone else had the amp and same problem. Got me motivated, tore my bike apart and got an answer to my own question and helped someone else along the way.

Here is the wire colors that come out of the speakers of the service manual I have. Its for 2009 touring models.

Left front speaker LGN/W neg
W/O pos.
right front speaker LGN/BK neg
GY/R pos

left sidecar speaker W/BN neg
BN pos
rigth sidecar speaker W/BN neg
BN pos

rear speakers right LGN/BN neg
GN post

left speaker left W/BN neg
BN pos

If this might help or pm and I will send you a copy of the diagrams
This was for 2009 Composite ultra audio circuit
Hope this helps
Jr
Thanks, but this was an entirely different application. It allowed the use of the sidecar amp on a two speaker stereo system to power the rear speakers independently like they would be on an Ultra which has provisions for four speakers. It was evidently a short lived factory upgrade. You have the same diagrams I have but they are assuming you have the Ultra overlay harness, which this application doesn't. I wish their would have been some marking on my harness but I can use it to replicate the application now. More knowledge........Gotta love it

Last edited by a moderator:
Back