free website stats program Harley Davidson Settles Lawsuit With EPA | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Settles Lawsuit With EPA

Jeff, the MoCo has been doing that forever and they got their pants pulled down. I agree with dbmg, it will only get worse. Pretty soon state inspectors will be sticking a sniffer up the exhaust and if AFR is not 14.7, inspection failed.:eek:

Yes I agree, if the states that that have emission testing that include motorcycles that could be problematic for a altered bike but the sales of aftermarket equipment will most likely see very little change in their sales. JMHO.

There's always a way around it such as removing devices prior to testing. Here in CO. motorcycles are exempt from testing but I foresee that changing someday.

Heres a list of states the have or have not emission testing. It does not say if motorcycles are exempt from testing
Summary of Periodic Inspection Requirements for Non-Commercial Vehicles[edit]
State Periodic Safety Inspections Periodic Emissions Inspections
Alabama no no
Alaska no no
Arizona no biennially for Phoenix and Tucson metros
Arkansas no no
California no biennially for cars from out-of-state or in-state cars 7+ years old in all or some zip codes in 41 of 58 counties
Colorado no biennially in all or parts of 9 out of 64 counties, except for vehicles 7 model years old and newer
Connecticut no biennially
Delaware biennially biennially
District of Columbia biennially biennially
Florida no no
Georgia no annually for Atlanta metro
Hawaii annually no
Idaho no yes for Ada and Canyon counties
Illinois no (not actively checked, see above) biennially for Chicago and St. Louis metros
Indiana no biennially for Lake and Porter counties
Iowa no no
Kansas no no
Kentucky no no
Louisiana annually*/biennially annually for Baton Rouge metro
Maine annually annually for Cumberland county only
Maryland no biennially for 13/23 counties and Baltimore
Massachusetts annually annually
Michigan no no
Minnesota no no
Mississippi biennially no
Missouri biennially biennially for St. Louis metro
Montana no no
Nebraska no no
Nevada no yes for Clark and Washoe counties
New Hampshire annually annually (Model Year 1996 and Newer Only)
New Jersey no biennially
New Mexico no biennially for Bernalillo county only
New York annually annually
North Carolina annually annually for 48/100 counties
North Dakota no no
Ohio no odd/even for Cleveland metro
Oklahoma no no
Oregon no yes for Portland and Medford metros
Pennsylvania annually annually in 25 of 67 counties
Rhode Island biennially biennially
South Carolina no no
South Dakota no no
Tennessee no annually for select Nashville counties/Chattanooga area
Texas annually annually for large urban areas
Utah biennially yes for four most populated counties
Vermont annually annually
Virginia annually biennially for urban and suburban northern Virginia
Washington no yes for urban areas of select counties
West Virginia annually no
Wisconsin no biennially for select counties
Wyoming no no
  • New Orleans requires a "brake tag". In addition to the state requirements, if your vehicle is registered in New Orleans, you must also have the brakes tested annually with a short stop test.

The interesting thing Jeff when emissions started in Pa. we were up in arms because Harrisburg where the State Police had all vehicles registered they were a exempt county. Of course after a lengthy battle State Police went to neighboring counties to have emission test done and now all vehicles are emission tested. Motorcycles as of now not part of testing. Though you can get a ticket by any Police for excessive noise. The part I could not understand is that being a federal mandated program why is not a equal program across the nation. For me it costs about $70.00 x 2 vehicles annually plus a state inspection fee.

Here's what I found.
Vehicle inspection in the United States
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vehicle inspection laws by state:
Periodic safety inspection required
Safety inspection required upon sale or transfer
Safety inspection required when registering a vehicle from another jurisdiction
Emissions testing required in some areas
Emissions testing required in all areas
No inspection required
Striped: Both safety and emissions testing required
In the United States, vehicle safetyinspection and emissions inspectionare governed by each state individually. 17 states have a periodic (annual or biennial) safety inspection program, while Maryland and Alabama require a safety inspection on sale or transfer of vehicles which were previously registered in another state. New Jersey discontinued its passenger vehicle safety inspection program on August 1, 2010.[1]

In 1977, the federal Clean Air Act was amended by Congress to require states to implement vehicle emissions inspection programs, known as I/M programs (for Inspection and Maintenance), in all major metropolitan areas whose air quality failed to meet certain federal standards. New York's program started in 1982, California's program ("Smog Check") started in 1984, and Illinois' program started in 1986. The Clean Air Act of 1990 required some states to enact vehicle emissions inspection programs. State impacted were those in metropolitan areas where air quality did not meet federal standards.[2] Some states, including Kentucky and Minnesota, have discontinued their testing programs in recent years with approval from the federal government.

Contents
[hide]

Back