free website stats program Harley Davidson LED Turn Signal kits | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson LED Turn Signal kits

J

jimharvey1

Santa was good to me this year bringing me a brand new pair of LED Turn signals for the front of my 07 Ultra (68411-10). They looked great and I just couldn't wait to get started installing them. The instructions are pretty straightforward. Pull the outer fairing, unplug the signal light wires, remove the lights. However, removal of the inboard-most mounting bolt on a bike with road lights is a real pain without a good set of ball allen wrenches with the ball on the short end. You can't get a turn on the bolt. Luckilly, HD supplied me with a u-shaped one of these from a previous accessory. So now the lights are loose and should just pull out. Hey...what's that gray wire? Oh, it goes to the road lights! So now you have to remove the pin from the connector and pull that wire from the sleeve. Those pins do NOT come out once installed into the connector (I tried every way imaginable to get it to release) so I ended up cutting the pin out by slicing the old connector. Ok...now the old left turn signal is removed. I look at the new one and see that it also has a sleeve around the wires and I have to try to fish that road light wire up it. The manual suggests a way to do it but I was not successful. After about 2 hours of trying I finally gave up and just wrapped some electricians tape around it and the sleeve that the others go through. The plug end of the wires come already to install with pins connected. You just need to slip them into the PROPER holes in the supplied connector and plug it in. Tie wrap everything back in place and you're done! On to the other side. The end result looks great and the LEDs really spruce up the front of the bike. The turn signals have a much "crisper" blink with the LEDs and are considerably brighter.

tn736s3.jpg

Not to have the front lights out-do the rear, the Tuesday following Christmas I visited the local HD shop and picked up the matching set for the rear. (68128-10)

tn734s3.jpg

In the description on the HD website it states "In the rear, the lights function as a running light, brake light and directional indicator." So I figured "what the heck" let's kill two birds with one stone and save the cost of the conversion. Again, the u-shaped allen wrench that HD so nicely supplied in an earlier accessory (I can't remember what it was but they really ought to include one in these kits as well) came in extremely handy as the top attachment bolt is a bear to get to without a short ball-end allen wrench. The instructions are very good and all connectors are included for the rewiring in the tail light housing. It's just a matter of plugging pins into the connectors and plugging the connectors back in. The toughest part was tucking the wiring back so it would allow the reinstallation of the tail light.

Everything works great, are really bright, and the rear turn/brake/running lights are a big plus to visibility in the rear when the brakes are applied. They are actually much brighter than my stock incandescent brake light. I did notice a strange oddity though. Now, when I turn my ignition switch to the accessory position, my rear turn signals are on like parking lights. I can't figure out why. I don't recall my old lights ever being lit in the accessory position. Any ideas?

Oh, and for you folks that like the smoked lens look, they are also available in smoke, both front and rear. (front -68435-10 ; rear - 68127-10)

tn735s3.jpg
tn733s3.jpg

now...for my next trip to the dealer, I'll be looking at either the LED Tail/brake light (68085-08)

tn732s3.jpg

or the notorious BAL that everyone speaks so highly about.

tn731s3.jpg

Happy riding!

I got the BAL tail light in the fall , wished I would have got it earlier instead of more chrome, can't say enough great things about it- really like it alot.

I also did a turn signal upgrade on my 2000 FLHTC but I went with the Smoked, Bullet F/R Turn Signal Kit (69153-03 MSRP $129.95), the LED Smoked/Chrome Tailight (68086-08) and the narrow turnsignal bar. Same problem with the grey wire (which the directions make no mention of). No big deal, as stated above, easy fix. I love the look and have sold two set-ups to friends that have seen the bike.

My plan was to replace the 1156 bulbs with LEDs but can't find anything with a long enough base to plug in. The bulb either hits the ridge on the base or the back of the LED pod before the bulb gets in far enough to seat. I have tried LEDs from Drag, Kuryakyn and two suppliers I found on the internet, but nothing fits. I tried to dremel the ridge on the base but by the time I had clearance, the base was too weak and broke. Then I tried to Dremel out enough of the socket to allow clearance for the ridge. Cleared the ridge but now hits the LED pod. I've decided I like the regular red and amber 1156s.

HD's LED tail works well for me and you get their sweet little logo for the center of light to boot. Would've went w/BAL, but they're a tad higher than I wanted to pay & I had HD credit from another return. Great looking signals - might have to swap mine someday so everything's LED.

Jim, very good post and yes brighter lights are very good as the stockers are usually quite "dim" in the dead of night...and the advantage of higher efficiency LEDs means less stress on the electrical system to boot.:s

I have the Kuryakyn Panacea Blue Dot on the rear tailight and turn signals and the same on the front turn signals. They operate as running lights as well on back and really add a nice bright and much safer option for the rear. Installation was a breeze and the only issue has been the controller which mounts under the seat, I've gone through two in three years.

Jim; Good write up, thanks. I just went out an switched my '07 Classic to acc. position, and my rear turn signal lights come on (fronts do not). It must be a safety thing for being on side of road. I would never have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it. Amazing the small things we never notice about our bikes.:newsmile091:

Jim; Good write up, thanks. I just went out an switched my '07 Classic to acc. position, and my rear turn signal lights come on (fronts do not). It must be a safety thing for being on side of road. I would never have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it. Amazing the small things we never notice about our bikes.:newsmile091:

It is the "infamous PARK" lighting mode started as a safety thing very early on with the metrics, many of us would turn the ignition switch to what we thought was off when parking the bike and taillight would still be on and discharge our measly battery (before even electric starters were standard fare). Yamaha was the worst because Park position was before the OFF ignition switch position. Sad thing was, it was a "feature" on "scrambler" bikes, would could strand the trail rider if he did not look back at his bike in the woods before walking away...yeech! :(

Back