free website stats program Harley Buying experience | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Buying experience

I always make the deal first, then tell them i got financing, if you ever notice, the first thing dealers, and car dealers is ask if you are financing, i think this is their way on how to gauge if you are desperate enough.
Talk price first, to get them as low as you want.

First thing Cash Is King, but if you are going to finance if you are not able to get the losest rate , then you need to save some more Money. becuase as soon as you come on to some hard times you will be giving that bike back,:bigsmiley15: You need to stop paying for somebody easle vacation:34:

"Thats just crazy talk" They will have to pry the handlebars from my dead hands :D

Unfortunately, as several posts to this thread have pointed out, "honor" seems tobe a word that has been lost. For myself, I think I summarized my feelings on this topic a few months ago when purchasing a new car. The dealer was trying the usual tactics, and during an exchange that was getting somewhat heated, I commented :"Look, I get it, it's your job to seperate me from as much of my money as you can, legally..It's my job to prevent you from doing that". Surprisingly enough, he paused for a moment, got that "yeah, that kind of hit's it right on the head" look, and we started working on a deal. It's definitely not right what some sales people do, but you have to protect yourself. With whatever you buy, research prices, research what your trade, if any, is worth, and research finance....

Recently went to HD dealer to purchase a new 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited. Salesperson told me they had a good deal on financing, 5.9%. Thought that was pretty good, so I applied. Finance guy says my credit is'nt good enough for that rate and "they", Harley Finance" says it will be 10%. I was totally surprised as I know I have good credit. It was upsetting. He said my score was 670. I went home and checked online for my scores as i was worried something had happened. All three scores were between 750 to 830. Is this a common scam to make you pay higher interest rates? Anyone had same experience? They just lost a customer for good. Found out through research that this is a common technique at car dealerships,just didn't expect it at a Harley Dealer.

Just confirms why people don't place car (and motorcycle) salesman that high up the trustworthy professions.There's one Chev dealership in the north end of Winnipeg that I will not go back into after getting a little sharp with the salesman who just wouldn't take "no thank you, please return my vehicle registration" as an answer. After the third time I kinda blew up at him:newsmile055:.

When I went to buy my Harley I had the quote from my credit union first so when the dealer quoted me their rate I kinda just laughed at it (they fully understood). By the way, I just added it to my mortgage at Prime (think it was 2% at the time) since my house was near payed off.

I agree with R. Lewis, we all weren't unethical. I sold cars for 8 yrs and refused to use shady tactics. Unfortunately lots of dealers teach this stuff to their sales staff. It's all about the dollar. Which leads me to my reason for posting. A man only has a few things he can take with him....his honor and his word are a couple of them. Treat them nicely.

Last edited:
I too applied for eagle mark finance on a new sportster. I got the old bait and switch, they approved me at 12.5% interest with 10% down. I turned them down. They offered 8.25% with 10% down. I told them I would think about it. Not going to happen . I think I will buy a used bike from off ebay. Not a great Harley davidson experence. I baught a new fxr in the early eightys with ford motor co financing at harley davidson, maybe they should go back to ford.

I guess I fell for the old bait & switch. :( I bought my bike in 09. They gave me a quote with a low interest rate. I went to my bank and they declined because I didn't have enough credit. Back at the dealer, they put the paperwork through and I now pay a higher interest rate. I have been paying my payments ahead and on time. Should I look into trying to get another loan with a lower interest rate to pay off this one? I pay 11.9%. Or should I just chalk this one up to experience and leave it as is?

I guess I fell for the old bait & switch. :( I bought my bike in 09. They gave me a quote with a low interest rate. I went to my bank and they declined because I didn't have enough credit. Back at the dealer, they put the paperwork through and I now pay a higher interest rate. I have been paying my payments ahead and on time. Should I look into trying to get another loan with a lower interest rate to pay off this one? I pay 11.9%. Or should I just chalk this one up to experience and leave it as is?
Join a credit union Now!

Back