free website stats program Harley Boom Cruiser Audio on Pre-10 Dyna? | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Boom Cruiser Audio on Pre-10 Dyna?

OrovilleTim

I'd been browsing audio systems online and thought about getting one of them eventually. But, we were at a dealer today and they had a demo of the Harley Boom Cruiser Amp/Speaker setup (76262-08 in chrome.)

With 20% off for a special event we went ahead and ordered it. But, the concern is that I have a 2004 FXDWGI. The fitment states Fits "'04-later XL, '10-later FXDWG, '00-later Softail®, and '99-later Road King® models."

In kicking it around with the parts guy, the thought was that perhaps that it just wasn't "plug and play" and that it could require tapping into power, etc.

So, the big question is, *why wouldn't this get the official nod on a Pre-10 FXDWG?* I'm hoping someone may have an idea.

Thanks in advance!

Nobody? :bigsmiley21: Perhaps someone has seen one of these and could provide some feedback on the hookup? Is it just a simple system where it is all wired together, or does it expect to use some existing wiring?

I'm ok with tapping into existing power, etc. as opposed to plug and play, I just want to make sure there isn't some other deal-breaker I don't foresee.

Ok, I guess this will turn into the saga of "how", instead of "will it". I'm cool with that :)

Anyway, I picked it up from the dealer yesterday and after some initial checking, it seems like I won't have an issue.

There are basically three wires that come from the unit that aren't interconnected. They are hot, ground, and what appears to be the "sensor" wire as with normal car audio applications (meaning, when it gets power the unit is on, when it loses power, the unit is off.)

I thought perhaps the bracket would be an issue, but the Dyna bracket is fine and I foresee no problems with that.

I thought perhaps it was the hand controls and when I did a test (hold it up where it should go) it seemed like it was at an extreme angle, as opposed to flush mount, but then when consulting the picture here it has the same angle. I'd prefer something different, but perhaps it's a convenience/safety thing (easier thumb access?)

So, it looks like I shouldn't have a problem. I'll report back when it's all done, but I'm debating whether to wait until after a bike show tomorrow or not. Not sure if I want to go yanking the tank and doing all this before the morning.

Well, here's the verdict... no problems. The speakers mounted fine, the audio controls mounted ok, the Dyna amp bracket mounted fine in the empty hole, etc.

A couple tips:

• Put a dab of superglue to hold the shims in place if needed for smaller bars (to hold them in the speaker frame and clamp) otherwise they slip all over.
  • Don't really need to fully remove the tank. Just remove the fasteners and lift up the tank. I had my wife hold it up while I ran the wire and cable-tied it.

It was getting dark so I hooked up the sensor and hot wire together to the fused link (under the seat.) It turns on and off from the switch. I'll go back after the car/bike show tomorrow and tap into a wire that's only on with ignition.

So, to answer my original question... it works on a Pre-10 Dyna! :newsmile108:

OK. I just installed this unit on a friends bike last weekend and it was so easy to hook up it was unreal. He was returning from Iraq and his wife got it for him as a present he loved it. The only thing that made it plug and play was the extra little boot they give you that allows a plug from the main fuse panel. Since his bike was an older model we did not have this plug option. However the unit did come with a fused junction wire that we ran to a power wire plug that came off of his battery. and then we used a direct to the frame ground. System works perfect, however; you just have to remember to shut the power off at the swtch that mounts to the handle bars.
I totally recomend this product to one and all. This is one of those things the Motor Company put some real thought into and made it right the first time. At 80 mph the sound coming from the speakers is crystal clear. So charge the ipods, nanos, cell phones or however you listen and get to cranking those jams as you enjoy the ride.

It obviously doesn't take too much away from the styling of the bike either. Here is me on my bike with the newly installed Boom audio with my 1st Place Best Stock Bike trophy yesterday:

bestbike.jpg

At 80 mph the sound coming from the speakers is crystal clear.

I don't have a windshield and I have Cycle Shack turn-outs. When I adjusted my iPod to use the small-speaker equialization and put the output volume all the way up, I can hear parts of the music in the 55 mph range. When I hit 65-75, the only experience I get from them is a rhythmic vibration in my handlebars.

I was wondering if I had something that kept the wind out of my ears if I could hear them better, but I think it doesn't matter what speakers I could have got, they still would have been undiscernable at highway speeds in my situation. I refuse to get a windshield though :p

I purposely did not comment to this post because while I heard them at the HD Dealer, the real tale of the tape is on the road performance. The mounting of the speakers, amp and options either on pods affixed to the bars or accessory support directly on the windscreen seemed well thought out. Slap and Tim have sorted out what I suspected would be the performace and limitations.

The BOOM accessory does not include wattage or power specs...and in the store seemed up to the task. For windshield configured rides it seems to be satisfactory...a non faired motorcycle will find it lacking in power (also what I expected given no brochure info on SPL or Watts/Channel) or any meaningful spec. And yes, at a $375 price or so, it is a judgement call...your ride, you decide. I do use foam ear plugs on occasion to minimize wind noise...so Tanks' solution also works. The type of straps on your helmet also affect your noise/windblast comfort level you feel, as there is a big difference between the two 1/2 helmets I wear, full face...no contest is preferred for listening to tunes or conversations. JMO :coffee

I'll try the earplugs and maybe a different helmet tomorrow. I hope folks don't think I'm "hatin'" on the system as when I get going fast enough I can't even hear my exhaust :)

I too was worried about wattage, especially when I looked at it when it came in to the dealer. The power wires were *tiny*. Chances are the speakers are pretty efficient and the wattage is pretty low.

I did have serious distortion when I first plugged in but I had the iPod Touch on "Bass Booster", which wasn't the system's problem. By tweaking it, it cleaned it up *a lot*.

I'll report back after testing tomorrow with the plugs. Have 'em for shooting so I'll just break some out and take a spin at lunch.

I signed up just so I could watch and post on this topic. I just installed one on my Fatboy, and I am not happy. I had a 2 Wheel Tunes on my bike for the last 5 years and wanted a upgrade, so I bought one of these. The kit looks great, fits great, but doesn't have the volume. Where with my 2 Wheel tunes, (2" speakers) I could hear the music up to 55-60mph. With this kit, i can here it up to maybe 35. I have read where people could hear theres up to 80mph, my only response is how. Unless I got a bad amp with my kit, that's my only guess.

Back