free website stats program Harley Bike Cover needs.. | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Bike Cover needs..

dogdad

I have a HD bike cover that needs to be cleaned. Tag says not to launder. Company man said don't put it in the washing machine as it is coated and this could damage it....anyone out there have one of these and knows how to clean it?

Usually the dirt is exterior...the interior is usually fine. If the cover is the silver coated stuff, it is like ironing board stuff...and funny thing is, once a year I would use Palmolive green dishwashing soap (just a tablespoon in a bucket) and clean it while on the bike (yeah yeah, just be quick about it and rinse gently with hose after), I then take it off and hang it on a clothes line, usually on a clear day not in the high noon sun and heat, just to air dry.

Then I go to cleaning the bike...which may get a little wet, but did not get direct hard water splash, so I can clean the bike up that much easier. BTW, the covers will only last for about 6-8 years anyway (the fabric usually wears thin in places) from sunlight and UV...so you might want to try some spray preparations on it like ScotchGard to help it last a few years longer...

Back