Harley Battery

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by 89 FXRS, Oct 30, 2012.

1. 89 FXRS

89 FXRS Active Member

I heard that Deka is the company that makes Harley batteries - was wondering if the battery made for Harley is any different than the one they sell on their own? I've had good luck with Harley batteries - but I can get a Deka for quite a bit less money - don't want to do it if the battery is not as good - also if there is another battery that anyone has used with as good or better results than the H-D battery please let me know -
    any feedback would be appriciated - FXRS

This battery would be for a 2001 Road Glide

2. trickydoc

trickydoc Active Member

Stick with the HD. the cheap batteries will not hold up.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

The Deka battery is the same as the OEM H D battery minus the logo, made by East Penn Manufacturing same people who make the Die Hard

4. kdaddy

kdaddy Active Member

+1 what jack says. I buy mine at batteries plus and never had an issue plus twice the warranty

5. turnerbend

turnerbend Active Member

Most battery will hold up and serve the propose. Most battery failure is due to faulty charging or electrical systems. A good charging system can sustain a battery at lease 9+ years. Bad batteries will fail within 6-18 months.

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Jack has you covered...! Just to add a bit...my 2004 Sportster has a special size that is very hard to find a replacement for. Physically there is very little difference between the Deka battery and the H-D battery, BUT there are some minor differences, some significant.

1.) The Batteries Plus dealer honored the failure of my first Deka battery I purchased with new exchange after a year with no prorating. Excellent service, the battery was $99 a year ago (the H-D battery is $40 more). When I showed Batteries Plus dealer that the internal steel nut was loose and overheated the terminal (melted), he was very apologetic and acknowledged my original complaint 10 months earlier, when I used an extra fastener to the nut so the contact would not be intermittant. :newsmile040:

2.) The lead terminals of the Deka have a slightly different shape...I had to use a pocket knife to plane the lower boss, so the contact surface would be flat so my OEM H-D cable would seat clean.:newsmile061:

3.) Current battery works great...but the original H-D battery in my 2004 lasted for almost 8 years, so there is no denying the OEM battery is very good. I keep the old one around and charge it periodically as a backup, it was just a little sluggish when spinning up the Sportster, but it still worked, and I was going on several long 1000 mile trips...so I gave my baby a gift! :small3d036:

7. oiler

oiler Active Member

Have a look at Battery Mart...they sell Big Crank batteries for HD. They have very good reviews, free shipping and prices are reasonable. I have one in mine...perfect fit and so far so good.

Motorcycle Batteries | Battery Store | Discount Batteries | Motorcycle Battery - BatteryMart.com

Here is the one for your 2001 RG

66010-97C

8. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I have Deka's in two of my bikes. Somewhere on the Deka website is the disclaimer that the batteries do not meet HD specification. On my XT30, the difference is 1/4" difference in case width, and it has a sticker claiming 300 CCA and the HD battery is 270 CCA. I also like that the terminals have both top and side threads. I paid $109 delivered to my door from Bohannan Batteries in Palatka, FL.

9. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Here is some info:

Let's see some data on batteries - Harley Davidson Community

TQ