free website stats program Harley air horn weak? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley air horn weak?

Is there moisture in it? Try blowing some compressed air into the small nipple that is located on the bottom of the compressor, the horn will sound and any moisture or grit will blow out the front.

Got back to checking the Harley air horn today. The horn work fine if I disconnect it and blow compressed air through the air intake, even if I dismount it and reconnect power and press horn button it blows fine, but, if I mount it on the bike it get weak again. I can lift the front of horn while pressing horn button and it will blow fine. The is not short connections, relay seems to be fine. Any suggestions

Not familiar with this horn. Maybe when bolted on to the bike tightly it creates a bind to make the sound distort? Or are you thinking its an electrical issue?

What does Lifting on the front of the horn DO?

Realign something? Divert air Blowing area into the Bugle?

Not seeing it NOR Hearing it

Tough to diagnose...:newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

I'm not mechanic but I have two guesses that might lead to a fix. My first guess is that it somehow there is an air leak when it is bolted to the Harley. The fix would be to paint or glue all seams, rivets or screw points after you bolt it on. My second guess is that you have an electrical system leak, that you are not getting enough volts or amps to the horn. You would need a good volt meter to test wire connection points. This fix could be a good cleaning, or adding a relay or a ground. I'm thinking that by lifting the horn to get the loud results you are closing the air leak or adding to the electrical ground factor.
Good Luck!

:44:

I'm not mechanic but I have two guesses that might lead to a fix. My first guess is that it somehow there is an air leak when it is bolted to the Harley. The fix would be to paint or glue all seams, rivets or screw points after you bolt it on. My second guess is that you have an electrical system leak, that you are not getting enough volts or amps to the horn. You would need a good volt meter to test wire connection points. This fix could be a good cleaning, or adding a relay or a ground. I'm thinking that by lifting the horn to get the loud results you are closing the air leak or adding to the electrical ground factor.
Good Luck!

:44:

I think I may have it fixed. The horn in intact. The compressor and horn is one unit with an inlet air hose connected with no restriction. I notice the one of the electrical connection was not a tight fit. tighten the connection and the horn seems to be OK. Will have to test while riding (rainy weather now)
Thanks for the suggestions and replies.

OK. went back to the Harley air horn. Removed it from cycle and was checking the assembly and found that the horn will separated from the compressor. There is an "O ring" that seals the 2 parts together. I replaced the original ring with 2 rings of the same sizes and made sure that the 2 parts was properly aligned.
The horn is now like a new one. So, if you have discarded your Harley air horn due to not operating properly, replace the compressor to horn O ring seal.

Back