free website stats program Harley 883XL 2007 model - Oil Leak on chain nut | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley 883XL 2007 model - Oil Leak on chain nut

gulatij

I see there are few drops of oil leak from the chain nut. It seems like chain nut is not leaking but not sure.
There is oil film near the chain nut and see only after a ride. The primary plug is all dry.
Does anybody know what can be the issue?

Thanks

It seems that shifter seal is leaking. How difficult is to change the seal? Does it need special tools?
:newsmile058:

I can see the trail of oil from the shifter down to left side of engine. I initally thought that it is primary oil but the plug was completely dry.
:newsmile098:

On the left hand side, there is nut which is used to adjust chain inside the primary cover. I am not sure if there is chain adjuster nuts on older models. The manual suggests that chain adjuster nut is to tighten the chain. The primary drain nut seems to be dry. Has anybody changed gear shift seal? Do I need special tools?

On the left hand side, there is nut which is used to adjust chain inside the primary cover. I am not sure if there is chain adjuster nuts on older models. The manual suggests that chain adjuster nut is to tighten the chain. The primary drain nut seems to be dry. Has anybody changed gear shift seal? Do I need special tools?

If you are changing the shifter shaft seal, match mark the position of the shifter, pry out the seal, check the bushings for wear, use a deep socket pre lube the seal and gently tap it in place, re install the shifter:s

Back