free website stats program Hardbag light package not working. | Harley Davidson Forums

Hardbag light package not working.

dangerdan

I thought I would share this with other newbee's as I feel really stupid about this one.

I was testing all my lights and found a few not working. I cleaned all the rust from the contacts and got all lights to work except for the ones around the hardbags. Its 3 pm in the afternoon and getting lots of sunshine in the garage. I see voltage at the connector and decided to rip things apart.

Its now 8 pm and am working in the basement. I rip the lighting package apart, do some continuity testing and nothing. I find a 12v DC transformer plug it the the light package and see light.

THIS IS WHERE THE STUPID PART COMES IN.

These light are not that bright , there was nothing wrong with them. It was just to bright in the garage when I first tested them.

:bigsmiley30: :bigsmiley30: :bigsmiley30: :bigsmiley30:

Today I closed the garage door.
Both sides work, they are dim but they work. :bigsmiley8:

In fact all the lights work now.

They dont look like LED's , the bulbs (incendesent) are 1/4 inch high and are permantly mounted on a strip. I think there is about 10 bulbs per strip.

The red outer lenses is about 4 inches wide , and has a 1 inch strip which I believe is some sort of diffuser running along the length with holes about 1/8 inch wide.
I checked all 3 sections with a digital ohm meter and got almost 0 ohms .

I dont know why they're not bright. It looks like they are running at half intensity. I got 12v DC at the conector. I dont know what else I can do , except replace them LED's.

These are running lights that wrap around the side bags.
If these are LED they sure dont act or look like them.

Has a very yellowish glow.
I thought LED lighting was white .

I checked them again...In the dark they have a nice redish glow with the lenses attached.
:breakdance

LED's come in all colors even ones that change colors. With that many lights in the strip as you say, I would say they are LED's in there.

Back