Hardbag light package not working.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dangerdan, May 19, 2008.

1. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

I thought I would share this with other newbee's as I feel really stupid about this one.

I was testing all my lights and found a few not working. I cleaned all the rust from the contacts and got all lights to work except for the ones around the hardbags. Its 3 pm in the afternoon and getting lots of sunshine in the garage. I see voltage at the connector and decided to rip things apart.

Its now 8 pm and am working in the basement. I rip the lighting package apart, do some continuity testing and nothing. I find a 12v DC transformer plug it the the light package and see light.

THIS IS WHERE THE STUPID PART COMES IN.

These light are not that bright , there was nothing wrong with them. It was just to bright in the garage when I first tested them.

:bigsmiley30: :bigsmiley30: :bigsmiley30: :bigsmiley30:

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

OHHHHHH Dan!:tounge Happens to all of us at some time.:cheers

3. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

Hey, I've never done anything that silly. Not today anyway. I,m glad it was a mistake and not really a problem for you Dan.

4. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

Today I closed the garage door.
    Both sides work, they are dim but they work. :bigsmiley8:

In fact all the lights work now.

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

Why are they dim? have the right bulbs in them?

6. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

My wife says I'm kind of dim and after 30 years still can't figure out how to turn up the voltage.

7. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

They dont look like LED's , the bulbs (incendesent) are 1/4 inch high and are permantly mounted on a strip. I think there is about 10 bulbs per strip.

The red outer lenses is about 4 inches wide , and has a 1 inch strip which I believe is some sort of diffuser running along the length with holes about 1/8 inch wide.
    I checked all 3 sections with a digital ohm meter and got almost 0 ohms .

I dont know why they're not bright. It looks like they are running at half intensity. I got 12v DC at the conector. I dont know what else I can do , except replace them LED's.

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

Are these just running lights you're talking about here? Sounds like dim LED lights.

9. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

These are running lights that wrap around the side bags.
    If these are LED they sure dont act or look like them.

Has a very yellowish glow.
    I thought LED lighting was white .

I checked them again...In the dark they have a nice redish glow with the lenses attached.
    :breakdance

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

LED's come in all colors even ones that change colors. With that many lights in the strip as you say, I would say they are LED's in there.