free website stats program Hard Starting | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard Starting

it sounds like if the battery is very low and it stops cranking but you can tell the starter is still engaged. i release the starter button and push it a again and starts up. now this only happen when engine is hot and on a quick stop engine and go. i have not tested to see how long of a stop it will take for it not to do this.
This ALONE would tell me the Battery is low or a BAD cell.... Yes it could be other things but on this New of a STOCK bike I'd bet BATTERY......

signed....BUBBIE

thanks for all your input. i will remove and charge the battery and take it to the stealer for a load test.

i will post the results.

I took battery to stealer. They tested it and stated it was a good battery. I asked the parts dude if the tester placed a load on the battery and he did not even know what i was talking about. Anyway I will buy a new battery. Can anyone tell me what good not expensive battery I can by buy for my 09 egc.

I took battery to stealer. They tested it and stated it was a good battery. I asked the parts dude if the tester placed a load on the battery and he did not even know what i was talking about. Anyway I will buy a new battery. Can anyone tell me what good not expensive battery I can by buy for my 09 egc.

Oh that's good, I know they don't pay the starting help much at the dealers but even the auto part store guys know that. Guess they gave you the bike washer guy to test it, I thought only I had such luck.

Good batteries are not usually cheap but none of the replacement batteries I've seen last much longer than 3 to 4 yrs (if that sometimes). Depends on the temp change it's exposed to etc. Read the specs to see what you are getting for your dollar. Some have higher cranking amp capacity, others have the plates constructed to last longer etc etc. For my car and truck I usually go with upper mid range price because with the pro-rated warranty it usually pays the best deal over the more expensive (or cheaper ones).

For the bike, I've never replaced it yet, but I've replaced several just like it in my riding mowers and I go with the same deal. Mid upper price range at where ever I but it.

I have always had good luck with HD batteries.... Sorry but that is all i put back in my HD's..

signed....BUBBIE

Got a new battery a week ago (400cca). Bike is starting great cold or hot it does not matter. Thanks for all your advice.

Back