free website stats program Hard Starting | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard Starting

Like BUBBIE said, it's HOT!

Remember the jugs and pistons will expand when hot and after shutting or for fuel etc. they will actually have a hard time cranking at first because they expand even more.

I think that too but this is south Texas (very hot ) today again will be 105-106.

What modifications are on this bike?????

is it a stock 96" or?

Answers above are what is needed here to give you a more Correct answer...

The compensator would have nothing to do with the hard starting or the second time it will start..
Yes a low battery could but starting the second time every time???

Sounds Like FUEL related to me.

The Fuel and Air come into mind here.. IF TOO LEAN the bike Will be Hard to start..especially when HOT and HOT out..

signed....BUBBIE

96 stock only 1.75 rush slipons

oil will not get over 230* which is gooood even at 106* temp

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to check is the batter connections they Might have some corrosion on them after a year and a 1/2...

You saying that the fuel gismo doesn't read right.. Low Voltage??.. Where is HOOPLE?? He would have a good opinion here..

JUST the exhaust Modifications MAY Need a TFI or Fueler it does sound like a LEAN CONDITION..

signed....BUBBIE

thanks, did the cable check. i am thinking bad battery cell too. i will have to keep an eye on it and see what is does.

thanks, did the cable check. i am thinking bad battery cell too. i will have to keep an eye on it and see what is does.

These Big bikes NEED every bit of battery power to start and Run properly and at 1.5 yrs in that Heat i would Not doubt it going south.....

I went thru a few New batteries Early-on while I'm in the heat of AZ..

I also I have NOT Checked this out YET,,,,, Hearing from Smart Others that:: (hear-say until confirmed) The LIGHT weight cables in our Newer Bikes needs to be replace with Heavier Cables..Starting Draw is Impeded (all my words)

Now HOOPLE Needed again.... He says he reads ALL my post.. We'll find out.

signed....BUBBIE

Batteries go bad more in summer than in winter. Heat just kills them. If you go to your local NAPA and look in the Belden wire catalog, you can find copper cables with the right ends on them to fit your bike. They make them in various gauges.
wilks3 :D
:USA

It looks like the battery does not have enough power.

If the engine sounds like it's cranking slow when hot, it could be for several reasons. Does the headlight dim down low while cranking? Have the battery load tested. It could have a bad cell.

it sounds like if the battery is very low and it stops cranking but you can tell the starter is still engaged. i release the starter button and push it a again and starts up. now this only happen when engine is hot and on a quick stop engine and go. i have not tested to see how long of a stop it will take for it not to do this.

Cuznred

Load test the battery and see if it is up to the task.

You may want to decarbonize the engine. Carbon can ignite the fuel mix when it is hot from running and shut down, then restarted soon after.

Harley Davidson Community

Also a lean fuel mixture will do this too.

Back