free website stats program Hard Starting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard Starting

I hear this from Hoople, My wording tho,,,, that the down-load from HD does nothing to richen the system at the right places on the FI. Only at WOT is there any benefit so it is STILL TOO LEAN,,, YES,,,, HD says you CAN go One or the Other but not BOTH...

The bikes I know who have JUST done one or both and Then DID the download are Still TOO LEAN ... More fuel at wide open throttle is the only benefit plus a little RPM above redline of which I don't need..

My thoughts on this starting problem IS when it is warm, and you RE-start the engine, IF doing like Glider mentions,,, IT is too lean and that is the problem.. Everybody thinks to toss BIG $$$$$ away on a Fueler.

I think Less $$ can be spent on a great gadget called TFI and I feel that the TFI or Gen3 (piggy-back) will do the Proper fuel over-ride on the FI to have that bike running GREAT....

The TFI is a Dobecks unit Sponsored Here and MONITORED on site by the company...
Any questions can and will be answered by Dallas of Dobecks Performance..

the TFI runs about 250$ area and You DO get a discount for just being a Member on HDT.com...... Ask as other discounts are available IF you qualify.. Military, Police, First responders.

signed....BUBBIE

Might You Need a NEW set of HD stock plugs?

I was going with the fuel pack from V&H for two reasons, one I don't have a PC, I am a Mac user and any other tuner requires using a PC to program the map in to the bike. I hear powercomander gives the best performance but no Mac support. Second reason is I have V&H pipes and was going to get a V&H air cleaner and they have the Fuel Pack programed for exactly my application. If down the road I go with cams or other mods, I might not do as well if I had SERT or Power Commander.

I don't think its the plugs since I only have 6k miles on the bike. When I bought the bike I hadn't ridden in years and over the last year I have found I am only happy on two wheels and have slowly broken my cage habbits. Much to my neighbors dislike since I work a second shift and V&H pipes are a little loud at midnight.

The TFI unit doesn't require anything other than a small screwdriver to set it up and for a street ridden bike, it's really all that's needed. The gains from the piggyback units are about equal with the exception of the units that adjust cylinder trim and timing. To me the work and expense needed for those units surpass what is needed for the simpler setup of the TFI.

If down the road I go with cams or other mods, I might not do as well if I had SERT or Power Commander.

You might call V&H first, when I called and told them what cams I was puting in the guy laughed and said you would be better off with a Power Commander but maybe that was just my experience. I had no complaints the way it worked when the bike was stock. Good luck.

I have had this issue on every EFI bike I have ever owned with or with out a Tuner/fueler, It has never been a constant issue ,just a once in awhile occurance as others said, And I have found it only happens when it is a fast stop and start condition as you describe by running in the store for a sixpack ,smokes ,or making a fast fuel stop ,Ive always related it to a fuel/vapor load up when the bike was shut down and not giving time for the fuel/vapor loadup to disapate.I dont think a tuner/fueler will help this issue ,but your bike and you will be happier with a tuner/fueler there will be a definate diff.

I thought the power commander auto tune was 08 and up. will it work on the 07's?

From what I understand the PC Auto Tune unit only works with the PCV and is available for 09 and newer bikes from Power Commander but you can buy one from Fuel-Moto like I did that is retrofitted to the earlier models. Fuel-Moto writes thier own MAPS for the pre 09 PCV Unit but you can make changes yourself if you choose.

I do not have the Auto Tune yet but have considered purchasing it in the future.

I thought the power commander auto tune was 08 and up. will it work on the 07's?

The auto tune comes with "broad band" o2 sensors that you replace your exsisting sensors with. I recommend finding a local v-tiwn shop to assist you. The cool thing about the auto tuner is it is always adjusting for your riding style, so it is always optimal.

I got the compensator replaced with the se one on my 09 egc. I have notice that it will have a hard time starting when hot. It looks like the battery does not have enough power. This only happen when the engine is hot and a quick stop for gas. It sometime even resets the fuel remain read out to low. When cold I have not problem it turns great. when hot it wont, push the start botton second time and it fires up. What gives? Battery is 1.5 years old and I am driving in 106* weather.

thanks

I got the compensator replaced with the se one on my 09 egc. I have notice that it will have a hard time starting when hot. It looks like the battery does not have enough power. This only happen when the engine is hot and a quick stop for gas. It sometime even resets the fuel remain read out to low. When cold I have not problem it turns great. when hot it wont, push the start botton second time and it fires up. What gives? Battery is 1.5 years old and I am driving in 106* weather.

thanks

Kinda warm for the Bike and You..

I would think it would be the HEAT..

signed....BUBBIE

Back