free website stats program Hard Starting | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard Starting

Cuznred

Most of the time when I try and start my 2009 FXDF, it start right up. Tonight however I just left work, drove about 5 miles total. Stopped at a gas station to pick up a sixpack, and when I went to start the bike back up.... crank, pop, fizz. Sounds like it started to turn over but didn't make it and kicked back the compression. Didn't smell fuel and it started on attempt number two after some weird looks. The only think mechanically I have done to the bike is a set of V&H 2-1 Big Radius Pipes. Was told by a mechanic at the dealership and here and on other forums that I could do just pipes and not need to do filter and computer yet. I want to do the next step and get the fuel pack and filter. I don't see how me not having done this yet could cause this. Just to make sure I am putting it on the battery tender tonight even though I ride every day. I thought these EFI motors were supposed to fire right up every time.

I have an 07 FXD and I've had that happen to me also...same scenario. It only happens when the bike is heat soaked, then it takes a long crank on starter to fire it up. Cold, you barely have to push the button.

... ... .... I want to do the next step and get the fuel pack and filter. I don't see how me not having done this yet could cause this. .. .. ... ...

I have V&H big shots and the SE Air and the SE Stage 1 dealer download, and mine still does that once in awhile, not often. I don't worry about it.

If I were you though I would do some research before you buy the fuel pak. In my opinion there are some better options for you. I personally want to get the TTS Mastertune, but the newer SE tuner (not the dealer map) is also good I hear. A little over $400 for the TTS, not sure about the SE tuner.

Every once in awhile u will get a little backfire out threw the aircleaner if it tries to start on a certian part of the stroke or if u let off the start button to soon I have seen brand new bike do it on the show room floor. But I had the same issue for awhile did it all summer and then it started to do it all the time . Took it into the dealer a few time and they all told me they checked for intake leaks and codes and couldnt find anything. Then my starter started to grind and slip so I took it back to the dealer told them I wanted my starter and my compensator checked sure enough both where trashed they fixed them under warranty and all has been solved but still every so often when the bike is good and hot it will burp up threw the throtle body . So if it did it once or once every 100 starts I wouldnt worry about it but if it starts doin all the time better take a look at the componsator before it trashes the starter and clutch hub gear ring

Are you waiting after turning the ignition on for the computer to cycle and the fuel pump to build pressure then go off before hitting the start button?

I have V&H big shots and the SE Air and the SE Stage 1 dealer download, and mine still does that once in awhile, not often. I don't worry about it.

If I were you though I would do some research before you buy the fuel pak. In my opinion there are some better options for you. I personally want to get the TTS Mastertune, but the newer SE tuner (not the dealer map) is also good I hear. A little over $400 for the TTS, not sure about the SE tuner.

Agreed, I had the H&H Fuel pack and loved it but when I upgraded the cams I couldn't get it to run right. Switched to the Power Commander V with auto-tune and haven't looked back, best money spent right there.

Sounds like it started to turn over but didn't make it and kicked back the compression.

I can relate. I had a bad habit of releasing the start button on the bars as soon as I would hear the engine fire or kick. That was the wrong thing to do. I now "power through" with the starter until the engine actually starts.

With a cage, the starter pinion is in direct contact with the crankshaft. There is no play or backlash. With these bikes, primary chain slack and the backlash rocking of the compensator creates a lot of slack between the starter pinion and crankshaft. Powering through by holding the start button has really helped for me.

Also, installing a SE compensator has helped with starting "kick-back".

I would not make any changes (fuel kits) until I had a handle on the issue or came to terms with it. You don't want to compound the issue or stack problems.

I hear this from Hoople, My wording tho,,,, that the down-load from HD does nothing to richen the system at the right places on the FI. Only at WOT is there any benefit so it is STILL TOO LEAN,,, YES,,,, HD says you CAN go One or the Other but not BOTH...

The bikes I know who have JUST done one or both and Then DID the download are Still TOO LEAN ... More fuel at wide open throttle is the only benefit plus a little RPM above redline of which I don't need..

My thoughts on this starting problem IS when it is warm, and you RE-start the engine, IF doing like Glider mentions,,, IT is too lean and that is the problem.. Everybody thinks to toss BIG $$$$$ away on a Fueler.

I think Less $$ can be spent on a great gadget called TFI and I feel that the TFI or Gen3 (piggy-back) will do the Proper fuel over-ride on the FI to have that bike running GREAT....

The TFI is a Dobecks unit Sponsored Here and MONITORED on site by the company...
Any questions can and will be answered by Dallas of Dobecks Performance..

the TFI runs about 250$ area and You DO get a discount for just being a Member on HDT.com...... Ask as other discounts are available IF you qualify.. Military, Police, First responders.

signed....BUBBIE

Might You Need a NEW set of HD stock plugs?

Back