free website stats program Hard starting 99 softail-stock | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard starting 99 softail-stock

wespurcell

Cannot get my stock 99 to start cold. Pump the throttle 10 times with enricher (choke) on full. If I pull the filter off and hold the slide up with my finger, it fires right up. Runs fine-after warmed up. Pulled plugs after a NO-START episode. Plugs were not wet, dry. Accelerator pump work fine. Gas squirts out fine.

Is it the diaphragm leaking on the top of the slide or is it a leak on the intake to the cylinders?

This is a new problem.

help
wes

How many miles on the bike? Sounds like the problem is in the carb, rebuild kits are cheap, might be a good investment to just rebuild it and be done with it.

Probably should have posted under engine, fuel and exhaust, but wither way people here will help you work through the problem.

Smitty, At this point being a 1999, don't you agree a good cleaning and rebuild would be a good investment? Not expensive to do either.

Only reason I am suggesting that is because not all riders do things to their bikes to avoid future problems like he is having.

If you hold the slider up and it starts, your gettin to much fuel, try NOT pumping it and half chock. It may have a dirty air filter, not enough air. Good luck:57:

If he was getting to much fuel plugs would be wet and gas should be pouring out the overflow tube. I think he got a dirt filter and a carb. rebuild would be a good idea.

There is no need to pump the throttle ten times, or even once for that matter ... just turn on the enrichener, leave the throttle alone and push the starter button.

Back