free website stats program Hard start | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard start

I would believe it to be a FI set up. Have you checked for codes? Possibly clean you IAC unit/port.
tourbox

Here is what tourbox is referring to if it's FI.

As suggested try clean the IAC. Remove the air cleaner so the throttle opening is exposed. Stick a small rag in against the butterfly, look at about 12 o'clock in the throttle snout, you should see a hole. spray some good carb cleaner in the hole and that should clean out all the oily gunk that gets in there.

How many miles? Could be carbon build up which is increasing compression. A compression check would tell the tale.;)

Honwstly i been so busy the past couple of weeks that im just now getting back to it. I will post what i find.

From my 08 softail service manual under "starts hard"
1 Spark plugs in bad condition have improper gap or partially fouled
2 Spark plug cables in poor condition
3 Battery nearly discharged
4 Battery wires damaged or loose connections at battery terminals, ignition coil, or ECM connector
5 Dirt or water in fuel system
6 Intake air leak
7 Fuel tank vent hose, filler cap vent bad
8 Partially plugged fuel injectors

There are a few others but they probably don't apply if your bike runs well once started. I would concentrate your efforts on 1 thru 6
Good luck!

I would check the voltage drop when starting, put voltmeter leads on battery posts and note voltage when cranking.

If voltage during cranking is too low, bike may not be able to create spark even tho it is cranking.
( starter is taking all the battery resources)

Heat is bad for batteries, being your problem seems to come when bike is hot, the battery may be sucking up heat
and this is adding to the problem.

Easy check.

my .02¢

Well, finally, I can post again. Doubt if carbon build up is the issue with only 15K miles. As has been pointed out, electrical connections and battery could be the culprit.;)

Back