free website stats program Hard shifting 91 EGC | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard shifting 91 EGC

Somedays you get the elevator and somedays you get the shaft. Today I got the elevator. I removed the small amount of extra primary fluid that I added for the heck of it, readjusted the clutch, and adjusted the primary chain. I also tried rocking it in gear while it wasn't running and cold. I also tried holding the clutch lever in while it was running and cold to to sling the oil off of the clutch plates. The primary chain was just alittle out of adjustment maybe 1", instead of 5/8 to 7/8 of an inch while cold. Of all the things that I did, it seems holding the clutch lever in for a very short period of time seemed to work the best. When it was stone cold and running and I tried to put in gear it would still grind alittle bit, but when I held in the clutch lever for a few seconds (even as short as 3 seconds) it was fine. Once it warmed it was perfect. I hope that tidbit helps someone else as much as it helped me. Thanx for all of your advise guys. It's really appreciated. This is a great forum. Thanx again guys for the elevator. Bus Driver

Glad to here all is good and after a wee bit of time you will get to know your bike and all of its little quirks as they all seem to be slightly different
But holding the clutch in a wee while makes a lot of difference when selecting that first gear when cold
many years ago i would hold in the clutch for the first 2 kicks on the kick starter to free off the clutch plates prior to starting the bike

Brian

many years ago i would hold in the clutch for the first 2 kicks on the kick starter to free off the clutch plates prior to starting the bike
Brian

Sounds like a Triumph and I did the same. That's why I rock mine in gear when its cold. I broke something important on a Triumph when I slammed it into gear when I was in a hurry - Bob

Read it all....

The other thing I would Check;
How much FREE PLAY is in the clutch cable ?

Squeeze the clutch handle SOFTLY to SEE Where it STARTS to feel resistance??????

IF way in, You either have it adjusted too Loose, cable case worn(need new) or Improperly adjusted... 1/16 is best CAUSE cable gets WORN inside the casing and ONLY need the LESSER 1/16" open distance at the clutch handle. SLOP will take-up the rest needed......

On the CLUTCH Pack adjustment.... I would MAKE sure it is ONLY 1/2 turn out NO MORE......
This Helps to give FULL separation of the plates When you SQUEEZE the clutch handle..

I was going to Suggest all this Before YOU FOUND the Best way to HOLD Clutch and count NO LESS 5 seconds(always)Before you try to shift to 1st ESP when COLD..........

That 1/2 turn OUT on the clutch pack AND 1/16 at cable/clutch handle is CRITICAL on your bike ESPECIALLY having YOUR problem....

NOW for the FINAL needed thing.....

ALWAYS HOLD the shift lever in the shift position MAKING sure that way IT IS in FULL Shift.... I always HOLD into the shift position UNTIL the GEAR is FULLY engaged.(.) then Release foot tension AFTER engaged fully...... OR IT WILL GRIND

That WILL also help..

AND Never Jamb or JUMp on the shifter... FIRM and deliberate movement NOT STOMPING as some do...

IF you practice This ,,,,,you will sometimes FEEL it PULL FULLY into the gear... especially when 2-5th gear

Those are MY secrets....... THEY WORK(.)

signed....BUBBIE

Glad to here all is good and after a wee bit of time you will get to know your bike and all of its little quirks as they all seem to be slightly different
But holding the clutch in a wee while makes a lot of difference when selecting that first gear when cold

Brian

Hahahahahah Yes I TOO remember those days..... kick it twice to loosen ,,, THEN it would KICK YOU BACK ,,,, just for spite,,,, always

signed....BUBBIE

Sounds like a Triumph and I did the same. That's why I rock mine in gear when its cold. I broke something important on a Triumph when I slammed it into gear when I was in a hurry - Bob

Triumph is one of the bikes i did that with mine was a 750 bonnie however i had a few different kick start only bikes over the years and once you learn a practise like that i just seem to carry it over due to lessons learnt with the triumph i always carry spare control cables on longer journeys

Brian

The clutch is adjusted 1/2 turn and the cable is 1/16 as per the manual.From playing with it, I don't think the cable is stretched. I work on my own machines, so I know if you beat them you have to fix them. At my age I get more enjoyment out of riding then fixing . I've owned my first bike for 36 years now and I have riddin the (EDIT) out of it. So I know if I break it I have to fix it. I wish I had this forum 44 years ago( I would have gotten alot more riding in). Thanx again guys. I hope I get the opportunity to help someone else like you've helped me. Bus Driver

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back