free website stats program Hard shift into first | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard shift into first

I rode to work yesterday and other than shifting hard into first when cold the bike has never shifted better the clutch adjustment did wonders but still didn't fix my problem with the cold shift into first. I didn't have time to check the chain adjustment I will get to it this afternoon after work.

If it's only shifting hard into first when cols being the problem, it could also be the primary oil is thick when cold. What primary oil are you using?

Performance + ?

It would be easier on us both if you could give a more complete description in your replies.

Yes performance +
i haven't had alot of time been busy at work it is getting to the end of our busy season and trying to get alot of the stuff done at work before my extra help goes back north for the summer. On top of all that the new guy i just hired got the end of a finger bitten off by a dog and can't do much so it falls on me to do all the extra work and give him the easy stuff to do. I'm the super at the course but i only have the 1 full time employee and one part timer in the winter on a 9 hole course so right now I'm a busy man. I have remodeled 2 of our tees this winter and a couple other holes we need to get ready for planting because of new curbs that were put in and trying to get this all done before the first of the month when everyone leaves so it dosen't leave me alot of time to wrench on the bikes. Plus when I do get a day or 2 off I have been working on the wifes bike getting it ready for her to ride safely when she completes her training course. So as you can see on my priority list my bike has slipped down on the list. I just ordered a manual for the wifes bike and as soon as it arrives I have to tear down the steering neck and either repack the bearings or replace depending on what I find when I get it tore down (the steering is a little stiff). On top of all of that I'm researching what I need to do to change my roadking over from EFI to carborator. well got to run I have to get to work and put down fertalizer before the golfers infest the course for the day.

Adjusted the primary chain and yes it was a little loose. Now going to switch over to synthetic in the primary and engine oil I will let you all know how it works out this afternoon when I geterdone.:naughty

I read in the self help section that formula 1 in the primary is the best to use so I'm staying with it but switching to synthetic in motor because of our heat issues here in the desert in the summer time. I'm also going to be changing out my trans fluid to a synthetic because of our high temps here in the summer.

:bigsmiley30:Ok update got everything done all back together now it won't shift into first at all. The way it has progressed and the feel of it trying to engage past neutral into first I believe I bent something in the trans.:12:

Baring all the common things such as clutch adjustment inside the primary and oil viscosity problems , you may have a shifter fork adjustment issue to deal with. Look in the factory manual for the procedure or take it to the dealer. I would first readjust the clutch and free play in the cable before proceeding any further.

Could also be the start of a bad clutch cable starting to fray and come apart.

Back