free website stats program Harbor Freight MC chock-damge to chrome rotor cover? | Harley Davidson Forums

Harbor Freight MC chock-damge to chrome rotor cover?

horizonchaser

Contributor
After deliberating on which type of motorcycle chock to purchase to tow my bike on I opted for the cheap Harbor Freight one. It was $39.00 on sale. I had read that they could cause damage to the bike. I tried to imagine how that could be? I thought perhaps the tires would abrade against the side rails of the chock. I thought if that were the case I could buy some 1/2 pipe foam insulation, the kind that has a slot longitudinally and I could fit that over the side rails to thwart any possible damage. But, I'll see if that is even an issue because I haven't mounted it on the trailer yet.
My main reason for posting is that I have the chrome rotor covers on my Ultra Class. They cover the rotors and although they are attractive ( to me) I'm wondering if, before I try to ride the bike onto the HF chock, will there be enough clearance with those rotor covers on? Does anyone have the same covers and tow there bikes without any problems?
Thanks!!

I don't know about the rotor covers.But friends that have bought the Harbor Frieght chock have had the rear fender skirt mangled on the Electrglides when the rear clamp comes up.It is also poorly built and will bend and lay down with your bike if you let the bike go to begin tying it down.Junk IMHO

I purchased Harbor Freight Chock two years ago and have no problem. I put 2010 Road King Classic on chock on pickup truck with no problem. I think RKC and Ultra are about same...

I purchased Harbor Freight Chock two years ago and have no problem. I put 2010 Road King Classic on chock on pickup truck with no problem. I think RKC and Ultra are about same...

Well, mindful of Steve's comment on how they damage the fender skirt I want to be super careful and avoid doing that at all costs.
Like I said originally, I have the chrome rotor covers on the front wheel. I certainly don't want to damage them too when I ride the bike on the chock. I need to know of others have the same situation.
WAP.gif

Well, mindful of Steve's comment on how they damage the fender skirt I want to be super careful and avoid doing that at all costs.
Like I said originally, I have the chrome rotor covers on the front wheel. I certainly don't want to damage them too when I ride the bike on the chock. I need to know of others have the same situation.
WAP.gif

I would do same thing what you mention... To my surprise that Steve's fender shirt is damaged. After I purchase the HF chock, I was very careful to put my RKC on them. After that, I know it is okay... Maybe you could buy HF chock and see if it will fit your bike with chrome rotor covers. If you are not happy then you could return them.

Wow really....mine clears it just fine, is there something custom with your rotors?
1332882427.jpg

Aha! It appears that they offer three type of chocks. I have seen yours. It went for $69.00. The one I purchaserd was $39.00 ( on sale), and there was a $19.00 one. I'm thinking maybe that was the one Steve mentioned where the bike would fall over if left unattended because it really did look like a piece of junk. But yours doesn't have the side rails where it could damage my chrome rotors.
Is yours bolted to your trailer? I say that because I saw your model there and for some reason or other i thought it was a free standing model. If you have yours bolted on your trailer, by the looks of your picture ( which i am grateful of) I can see where there wont be any issues as far as the chrome covers hitting the side rails of the chock or even the rear of the front fender getting damaged by the locking in mechanism in the rear of the chock.
Again, yours is bolted to your trailer?
Thanks!
Jim

After deliberating on which type of motorcycle chock to purchase to tow my bike on I opted for the cheap Harbor Freight one. It was $39.00 on sale. I had read that they could cause damage to the bike. I tried to imagine how that could be? I thought perhaps the tires would abrade against the side rails of the chock. I thought if that were the case I could buy some 1/2 pipe foam insulation, the kind that has a slot longitudinally and I could fit that over the side rails to thwart any possible damage. But, I'll see if that is even an issue because I haven't mounted it on the trailer yet.
My main reason for posting is that I have the chrome rotor covers on my Ultra Class. They cover the rotors and although they are attractive ( to me) I'm wondering if, before I try to ride the bike onto the HF chock, will there be enough clearance with those rotor covers on? Does anyone have the same covers and tow there bikes without any problems?
Thanks!!
I have one and there is no problem at all, bike fits very well.

Back