free website stats program Handlebars with red locktite? | Harley Davidson Forums

Handlebars with red locktite?

pete5w

I had never made personal adjustments on my 2008 Fatboy yet - 6 month old. Realized that I can't do a full lock without the handlebars hitting my knees (different thread). So loosened them up and rotated the stock bars up. I reviewed the manual and it indicates that red (high strength) locktite should be usedon the clamp? I don't usually question the HD manual but is this too much? I may need further adjustments later. Can I use blue (low strength) to check it out - I may need to re-adjust later.

In my Opinion, absolutely... "Blue" would be fine. Realize HD Motor Company is looking at it as a legal issue more so than a strength issue.

Use Blue, should be fine. Note, there are two types of Red, but use the wrong one and it cures, you will need a heat gun to get the fasteners out...don't ask! :(

Man we have this one set of railroad tracks in my area thats at the peak of a hill.Hit that at about 40 on my springer and got airborne for a few feet {felt like a little kid again} then I landed and the bars went south.Not a good feeling.

In a perfect world blue is fine.In that rare instance you realy need assurance,RED is good.

Thanks for the comments. I know it's a judgement call. I haven't worked with the red locktite before to know how much trouble to remove. The fasteners showed no evidence of prior locktite and the torque seemed low upon removal. Now with the blue locktite and with a known good torque, I feel confident in them holding.

I've never used locktite on the riser bolts but a drop of blue wouldn't be any problem in the future.

Man we have this one set of railroad tracks in my area thats at the peak of a hill.Hit that at about 40 on my springer and got airborne for a few feet {felt like a little kid again} then I landed and the bars went south.Not a good feeling.

In a perfect world blue is fine.In that rare instance you realy need assurance,RED is good.

I understand what your saying, but when you read into the service manual it says to apply the Locktite to the Riser screw threads. Red, Blue or none. I can't see it helping you with the bars going south after hitting Railroad tracks. Once the compression of the riser caps is fully down, that's it. Locktight or not, its not helping the handlebars stay in place. Unless of course your actually applying the Locktite to the knurled area. Then yes, Red 271 would have helped. But that's not what the service manual says to do.

When I purchased my new bike, the first thing I did was adjust the handlebars. The riser screws came right out. I did not see or feel any evidence of lockight at all. Are the bikes shipped with the handlebars in place or did the dealer forget to put some locktight on the riser screws when the bike was assembled.? ($600 setup & dealer prep and the engine oil was 3/4 quart low so anything was possible.)

Not disagreeing with what you are saying. Just trying to understand since this is my first HD.

Hoop!

Back