free website stats program handlebar vibration | Harley Davidson Forums

handlebar vibration

bassman61

Greetings, folks.....

In the last few weeks, I have noticed a vibration in my handlebars/handgrips......yeah, I know Harleys vibrate anyway, but this vibration seems a little more noticeable, specifically around 45-50 mph. It's not bad enough to raise a big alarm or anything, but it does have me concerned. For the record, here is some basic info on my scoot.......

1986 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
24,830 miles
Dunlop Tires, front and back, both in good condition with good tread, with 38 psi in each (tires have a max of 40 psi)

could it be loose spokes??

any info would be appreciated, thanks!

ED

Yes, it could be loose spokes as well as other things. Check fall away adjustment, neck bearings, wheel weights and I'm sure there are others as well. Perhaps other folks will chime in who are more qualified to help...good luck!

I also been haveing what I call a " spounge'e" feeling in my bars when stoped or a real "rubber'e" feeling ? what is this fall a way ajustment that I have seen talked about..

How long since the bushings that the handlebars are mounted in were changed?

It,s an 04 with 22,000 miles ,and as far as I know they have never been changed, it had 8200 when I bought it 2 years ago, I just noticed the Wobble, spounge, feeling all of a sudden at a redlight, never felt that way before, drives fine ,it only when stopped do I notice it, and it was on a 1400 mile trip? It's an Electra Glide... Thanks....

The Harley bushings are something that do age and wear, before you try all the other fixes that are mentioned here you might take a look at them. They are easy to change once you get them exposed. Your manual will tell you what you need to take off to get at them. I have used the Harley bushings and some aftermarket ones and i can't see much of a difference.

Thanks Don, also I didn't say was the day before, I droped it at a gas station, at about 1-2 miles an hour. Never droped it over before, and it did hit on the front brake lever and turned the control a little bit, loosened it up and turned it back to the right spot, no damage to the bike ... but I didn't have the trouble till the next day....but it did hit on the bars...

Thoes bushings are rubber or silicone depending on the manuf. Dropping the bike on the handelbars could have just lossened the bolts on the bottom enough to cause your problem. The cost of the new bushings is small and if you have the bike down to the point where you can see them you might as well change them out.

Back