free website stats program Handlebar switch wiring length? | Harley Davidson Forums

Handlebar switch wiring length?

amckay63

I'm putting some new bars on my 2008 RG, probably 12-16" apes, and know I'll have to put longer clutch and brake cables and an extension for the TBW. The question I have is... how much, if any slack is there in the HB switch wires? Will I have to modify/lengthen them, or is there an extension adapter, or is there enough slack that I won't have to do anything?

Thanks,
Adam

I'm putting some new bars on my 2008 RG, probably 12-16" apes, and know I'll have to put longer clutch and brake cables and an extension for the TBW. The question I have is... how much, if any slack is there in the HB switch wires? Will I have to modify/lengthen them, or is there an extension adapter, or is there enough slack that I won't have to do anything?

Thanks,
Adam

There is some slack but not enough for that.. there is a place that makes TBW wire plug and play extensions .. i dont remember where i had to get a new computer and lost all the links

Also if you have ABS you will have to have the dealer bleed the ABS so i have been told i didnt really look into it as i had more than enough slack when i changed my bars.

Most of the Wires on my Road King had about 3 inchs of slack Moco dont leave ya a lot of extra

There is some slack but not enough for that.. there is a place that makes TBW wire plug and play extensions .. i dont remember where i had to get a new computer and lost all the links

Also if you have ABS you will have to have the dealer bleed the ABS so i have been told i didnt really look into it as i had more than enough slack when i changed my bars.

Most of the Wires on my Road King had about 3 inchs of slack Moco dont leave ya a lot of extra

Thanks, Bud. The TBW extension I can get from Barnett. I guess I'll have to solder in some extensions for the rest.

i read in american iron mag. that barnetts make the tbw extensions and they are reasonably priced,like $34 or sonething like that.

i read in american iron mag. that barnetts make the tbw extensions and they are reasonably priced,like $34 or sonething like that.

Yeah, Barnetts makes a plug and play extension and that's what I'm going to get. I looked at the Novello wiring extensions for the handlebar switch wiring, but I'm not real comfortable with the pin & socket way they do it. Also, at $70 or so for the RG (cruise and radio), it's overpriced, IMO. For me, a roll of wire, some heat shrink and I'll solder the connections for a stronger connection. May be more of a hassle, but I'll have peace of mind.

Back