free website stats program Handlebar Shaking | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Handlebar Shaking

Thank you for the responses and suggestions. The problem has been coming on slowly and is noticeable when driving straight. Not that I'd advocate it, but I used to be able to put the cruise control on and if one took their hands off the bars it would track perfectly. Now the bars shake left and right when doing so. Doesn't seem to be speed dependent as it happens even at in town speeds.

Mine is starting to do the same thing. Hands on it's rock solid. If I go no hands, then the bars start to shake. Need to put it on the jack and check out the front end.

Take care,
Dave

Thank you everyone for your input. I will replace the tire in the next week so hopefully that solves the issue. Appreciate the ideas of what to check.

Thank you everyone for your input. I will replace the tire in the next week so hopefully that solves the issue. Appreciate the ideas of what to check.

one more thing ...double check that your front axle is at the correct torque

Let us know the fix...

It IS important for us to hear back, as we learn right along with you.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Let us know the fix...

It IS important for us to hear back, as we learn right along with you.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Will do once I get an opportunity to get the tire changed. Thanks.
WAP.gif

Another suggestion: check rear swing arm pivot bolts, they may be loose and this would cause a wobble.

Another item may be lack of grease in steering head, happened on my softail, I guess you have enough to check for now. Good luck

Another item may be lack of grease in steering head, happened on my softail, I guess you have enough to check for now. Good luck

I just greased my '09 a couple days ago and it seems to have taken care of the problem. Hands free while slowing down and the bars are rock solid.
I really wouldn't have thought it would make much difference but it did...

Take care,
Dave

Hello - An update.

Got the tire changed this past weekend. The wheel bearings and wheel were in good shape so didn't need to be replaced. The shaking seems to be gone. Haven't gone for a long run as of yet, but hope that everything continues to work:)

The mechanic noted that the IDS had some free play in it that would need to be replace at somepoint, but wasn't too far gone yet.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Back