free website stats program Handlebar Shaking | Harley Davidson Forums

Handlebar Shaking

Tourer

Hello - I've been using this website for the past five years as it always has such a wealth of knowledge out there. I've learned how to do most items on my first Harley myself with this sites help. A new problem that I can find an answer to that I'm having is while driving the handlebars vibrate as if the wheel is turning left and right. It seems to be getting worse to the point that I almost need to have two hands on the bars at all time. Has any encountered this before and have any suggestions as to where to start the investigation? Thank you.

A few possibilities that come to mind.
low tire pressure/tire delaminating/tire cupping/loose steering head bearings/ bad wheel bearing. There are others, but I forgot right now.:D

A few possibilities that come to mind.
low tire pressure/tire delaminating/tire cupping/loose steering head bearings/ bad wheel bearing. There are others, but I forgot right now.:D

Thank you Breeze3at. I've checked the steering head bearing tightness per the shop manual and that was okay. I'm still on the original tire with 16K miles on it am going to be replacing it shortly so will be sure to inspect the wheel bearings at the same point.

All good suggestions so far. However, let me ask what hasn't been asked yet. What was the last maintenance procedure or modification that you performed before you noticed this? Did you just notice it all of a sudden or has it been getting gradually worse? Does it happen on all types of road surface? All speeds? Straight, left turn, right turn? Did you do something to change the balance of the bike (weight shift to the rear unloading the front tire?)

All good suggestions so far. However, let me ask what hasn't been asked yet. What was the last maintenance procedure or modification that you performed before you noticed this? Did you just notice it all of a sudden or has it been getting gradually worse? Does it happen on all types of road surface? All speeds? Straight, left turn, right turn? Did you do something to change the balance of the bike (weight shift to the rear unloading the front tire?)

Thank you for the responses and suggestions. The problem has been coming on slowly and is noticeable when driving straight. Not that I'd advocate it, but I used to be able to put the cruise control on and if one took their hands off the bars it would track perfectly. Now the bars shake left and right when doing so. Doesn't seem to be speed dependent as it happens even at in town speeds.

have you hit any big bumps, railroad crossings, or big pot holes lately??? my buddy rode over a railroad crossing doing about 45 mph and it bent his front wheel, which would cause the shake you're describing. get the front tire off the ground and spin it by hand and look for any out of round conditions or wobble.

A 2008 with the original tire on it. 16k on the tire.I would change the tire before I did anything else. That tire is 6 yrs. old at least and will be hard.
Once they get old and hard they never balance out proper.

Yep, Steve's answer is Most likely.
On my FXDS long ago, my bars would shake like that and get worse IF i let go of them.. Bad Old Out of Balance tire.

signed....BUBBIE

.................................................. :good .......

A 2008 with the original tire on it. 16k on the tire.I would change the tire before I did anything else. That tire is 6 yrs. old at least and will be hard.
Once they get old and hard they never balance out proper.

Back