free website stats program Handlebar Risers | Harley Davidson Forums

Handlebar Risers

cedarbrook63

I have an XL883 converted to 1200.

I find the bars are just a tad further away than I would ideally like. I want to bring the handles back a few inches to reduce my lower back strain. I'm thinking of adding a riser set to do this. I have to do a bit of research to see what I want to buy.
I'd really like to do it myself but I don't want to bite off too much and changing brake and clutch cables I would prefer to avoid if possible - I know I could work my way through it and I have the manual but I don't want the bike laid up because of the "project" getting into deep water.

For someone who has a good range of tools, isn't too stupid (I hope) and is reasonably good with handos, if a bit inexperienced at working on motorbikes - d'you think that this would be a straightforward task?

Any advice or opinion welcome.

Thank guys.

Changing risers is easy. I'd suggest getting the least rise and pullback you can find. A little change makes a noticeable difference in position, as your top triple tree is at an angle. I put 2"up, 1" back on my Dyna without changing any cables. I took them off in about an hour cuz it was way too much. I now have 1" straight risers. Just right.:)
Put several thick towels over the tank before you start.

Easiest way to do this sort of task is to have an assistant to hold the bars steady however a bit of good rope attatced to the shed roof can work but it is easier with a second pair of hands
I am sure you will have the tools you need just get them out and use them

Brian

Get some new rubber bushing's(4 halfs) for the triple tree, their cheap and easy to change when you have the riser's off. The riser's are easy, 3/4 inch bolt on each side and (2) 1/4 inch allen head bolts holding the bars.

Thank you guys for the advice. There's my little project sorted for my pre-season.

I think I'll buy a lift at long last as well :)

Sit on the bike and put your hands where you feal comfortable, you should be able to figure out your rise and pull back from there, if possible have some one take a picture so you can see the relationship to where your bars are now and where you feal your comfort zone JMO

Sounds like the perfect first mod to do your self. Cheap and easy and what you want. Most people's first wrenching project is expensive, not so easy, and a must. (because something is broken...)

I don't know who you are using for parts, and this may cause an argument, but I have had real good luck with J&P so far. When you order your risers, you might consider a hidden hardware top clamp. I got one and it looks cool cool.

Use the polyurethane (sp?) bushings. The more height off triple tree the more deflection the rubber ones have, polys stop that.
wilks3

Thank you guys for the advice. There's my little project sorted for my pre-season.

I think I'll buy a lift at long last as well :)

At last a lift makes a lot of work a lot easier having a lift
As i was having a wee bit of trouble with the dyna and my americana II lift i just got one of these havent used it much yet but can be found for as little as £125 or so and seems to be more suitable for my needs

[URL="http://exit.hdtimeline.com/postid331507"]Sealey
[/URL]

Brian

I have an 04 Sportster XL and am considering changing the stock riser to an 04 HD Custom riser. Anyone done this swap and if so what was the outcome, like or dislike?

Back