free website stats program Handlebar mount for oil gauge | Harley Davidson Forums

Handlebar mount for oil gauge

R_W_B

I have a 2007 Dyna Street Bob 96ci. I want an oil pressure gauge where I can easily see it, not on the rocker next to my leg. Have had bad experiences in the past looking down while riding, like to keep my eyes up on road level. I have looked around and I see many handlebar mounts for clocks and temp gauges for Dynas but no oil pressure gauges. Does anybody know of a handlebar mount I can buy that will accept a vibration filled gauge? I find it absolutely amazing that you can find these things for a stupid clock but not for something important like an oil pressure gauge. Even more amazing is that HD did not implement this as OEM. Since the bike is air cooled the single most important gauge on a bike is oil pressure.

Interested in same, a handlebar mounted oil pressure gauge. Looking at adding an oil pressure sender, PN 74438-99 (possibly a T adaptor if needed to keep the tank console oil pressure light working) and an oil pressure gauge PN 75032-99B. (as used in fairings) Same challenge; How do you enclose an open gauge into a handlebar mounted housing! Don’t want to go the route of an oil line to the rocker. Heard of mishaps and an oily mess!
Would like to do same with a volt gauge, PN 74526-96C, and monitor 2 life lines!

Found little in Kryakyn, or Custom World Custom World International
Have to check out Arlen Ness…

HD has several handlebar mounting brackets for 2" gauges in the catalog. Look under Multi-Fit , Gauges and electronics. There are also many aftermarket brackets. Look at Dennis Kirk, J&P or any of the others. The only problem may be that most are made for electric gauges. The cup to enclose the wires is not made for an oil line. The reason no one puts the gauge on the bars is constant flexing of the lines when handlebars swing will weaken line over time.

The reason no one puts the gauge on the bars is constant flexing of the lines when handlebars swing will weaken line over time.

That's the same thing I was thinking Breeze. The only other way I could think of would be to have an electric sending unit & gauge (Non mechanical).

The reason no one puts the gauge on the bars is constant flexing of the lines when handlebars swing will weaken line over time.

That's the same thing I was thinking Breeze. The only other way I could think of would be to have an electric sending unit & gauge (Non mechanical).

Agreed totally; That’s why mechanical gauges are mounted to the rocker as that is stationary w.r.t. to motor vibration, etc. And yet I've heard of failure with the oil line/connections.
Only mount electrical gauges on handlebars! PN's in #3 above are electrical. If not, I appreciate any corrections!

Breeze: Thanks; I'll have a look at Multi-fit

Last edited:
Hey just now got back to this group. I have found some gauges, cups, handlebar clamp mounts, and flex braided oil pressure hoses, but I'm looking into the an electric (oil pressure) gauge with an electric sender also, have to call on most since they don't delineate in ads. I suppose a braided flex hose could suffer flex fatigue after a few hundred turns, but I also started wondering about an air bubble forming in a 2ft or so length from the oil sending unit (down front by the oil filter on my dyna) to the bottom of handlebars. So that's where I'm at now. I also heard something I did not know on another forum. He said that Harley engines depend mostly on a splash system for oil distribution. He said oil temp was more important than pressure. That blew me away, I thought only lawn mowers did that. I asked him did the oil pump at least pump thru the valve guides and thru the wrist pin of the pistons out the oil ring but he has not replied yet.
But in any case if the travel is any further than the ANess rocker panel type (and most of those are where the sending unit is directly under the rear rocker, not so on my Dyna) OR if you go on the handlebars I would have to agree the flex fatigue issue has never been tested and would be an undetermined implementation at best, not to mention the air lock question.

I also heard something I did not know on another forum. He said that Harley engines depend mostly on a splash system for oil distribution. He said oil temp was more important than pressure. That blew me away, I thought only lawn mowers did that. I asked him did the oil pump at least pump thru the valve guides and thru the wrist pin of the pistons out the oil ring but he has not replied yet.

The crank pin and wrist pin are splash fed. There are oil jets spraying under the piston skirts. Almost everything else in the engine is pressure fed, with splash assist (cam chains).

I also heard something I did not know on another forum. He said that Harley engines depend mostly on a splash system for oil distribution. He said oil temp was more important than pressure. That blew me away, I thought only lawn mowers did that. I asked him did the oil pump at least pump thru the valve guides and thru the wrist pin of the pistons out the oil ring but he has not replied yet.

The crank pin and wrist pin are splash fed. There are oil jets spraying under the piston skirts. Almost everything else in the engine is pressure fed, with splash assist (cam chains).

I checked my service manual and it states that "Oil runs down the center of the crankshaft and then up a cross drilling into the R. side of the flywheel. The flow exits a drilling in the crank pin bore, enters the crank pin and then sprays out through three holes to lubricate the lower rod bearing set". So I incorrectly stated the bottom end was splash fed only. Also the cam chains are spray fed. Bottom line, the twin cam engine does not lack for oil supply.

Thanks for the in depth info. Only problem with the A.Ness rocker mount gauge now is I would like to also put a kuryakin leg heat shield and it looks like they occupy the same space. I have a mechanic that said he would help me mount an electric oil gauge on the handlebar but I'm having a bit of trouble actually making sure I have a Non Mechanical gauge and sending unit from the suppliers. They only state make and model (or nothing) and my mechanic said that is a mute issue we just need matching electric gauge and electric sender. I'm still waiting on email back from a few suppliers. Found a great supplier with good prices at MOTOSENS Motorradzusatzinstrumente - Motor Cycle Add-On Instruments though.

Back