free website stats program Handlebar confusion | Harley Davidson Forums

Handlebar confusion

DaveInPA

Frozen Account
Hey guys,

I want drag bars on my 2008 XL883. I found some risers and bars, and I'm wondering if they'll fit my bike:

Risers:

Chrome 6 1/2" Forged Aluminum Buffalo Pullback Risers Set for Harley & Custom: 25-2193 Aftermarket Harley Davidson ® Motorcycle and Custom Parts and Accessories - Debrix Cycles - www.debrix.com

Top Clamp:

Chrome Finned Handlebar Top Clamp 1" bar for Harley & Custom: DC 25-2109 Aftermarket Harley Davidson ® Motorcycle and Custom Parts and Accessories - Debrix Cycles - www.debrix.com

Bars:

Chrome 30" No Indent with Knurls Drag Bars Handlebar for Harley: 25-0539 Aftermarket Harley Davidson ® Motorcycle and Custom Parts and Accessories - Debrix Cycles - www.debrix.com

I think those will fit, but I'm a noob at all this, so I'm not sure. Also, I know I will need new cables, lines, etc etc. How much would a typical bike mechanic charge to install the risers, bars, and new cables, wires, lines, etc?

How much higher and closer would this combination get the bars than what's stock on the XL883? Also, what the heck would I do with the speedometer? I would have to relocate it to somewhere!

Thanks for the help guys.
Dave

I can tell you on the XL883's, the most you can get away with is 4.5" pull back risers. I put those on my bike. The throttle and clutch cables are not the problem, its the brake line and electric's to the speedo/display. Even with 4.5" pull backs I had to move the electric cable above the mount, and make custom bendback mounts for the speedo. This made the electrics loose, but still kinda tight on a full right turn. If you go with anything higher than 4.5, you will need extensions.

I can tell you on the XL883's, the most you can get away with is 4.5" pull back risers. I put those on my bike. The throttle and clutch cables are not the problem, its the brake line and electric's to the speedo/display. Even with 4.5" pull backs I had to move the electric cable above the mount, and make custom bendback mounts for the speedo. This made the electrics loose, but still kinda tight on a full right turn. If you go with anything higher than 4.5, you will need extensions.

What bars are you using with the 4.5" risers? Did you have to replace the brake line? I found a simple mod to mount the speedo to the top of the headlight brow so I'm going to do that, so I'll be fine there.

I am using the stock low rise harley bars. Yes, forgot to mention that 4.5" pull backs stretch the brake line to its max.

Back