free website stats program handlebar advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

handlebar advice

I was looking for the same thing -- a little higher and a little further back with the bars. I ended up putting a set of Chubby WO575 bars on and really like the difference. Since the bars are 1 1/4", it makes it easy to run the wiring internally. Chubby has a nice write-up on how to de-pin the connectors to run the wiring internally here. You will have to put a longer clutch cable on. You can get a clutch cable that matches the original from an indy dealer for about $40. Two inches longer than stock is about perfect. Harley only sells the diamond back cables in longer lengths than stock. All other wiring is long enough.

If you change the clutch cable, you can do it without removing the exhaust if you use a ball headed hex wrench to remove the cover on the transmission.

I can see through the mirrors just fine. The thing that took me the most time was loosening the radio mounts. You have to slide the radio back to get to the handlebar bracket and the screws holding the radio in place are a little hard to get to. I ended up using a microgear set I bought at Sears for $25 to get to these screws. I also had a little problem with the green connector for the TBW. It seemed to want to come loose when pulling the wires through the handlebars. I ended up cutting out the connector, soldering the wires and using heat shrink tube. I probably spent about 6-7 hours total. It was definitely worth it!

Back