free website stats program handle bars keep moving | Harley Davidson Forums

handle bars keep moving

mikefxst

Banned
Anyone have any tips on how i can stop my Ape Hanger 16 in. handlebars from loosening up and sliding back on me. I know the bars have the built in grooved/rough finish on them so this won't happen but every once in a while especially if i have to pull back on the bars at all they will shift backwards. per say i was backing the bike up hill and i'm pulling back on the bars for additional leverage. the bars always seem to loosen up no matter how tight i make the handle bar clamp bolts.
any one have any tips or tricks that they have used or heard of?
thanks

Two thoughts...

If the bolts are working loose, use some blue Loctite to prevent that.

If that's not the problem, you might try using a Dremel tool to make "enhance" the ridges on the handlebar to make it less easy to rotate. You could also use some red Loctite on the bar.

<edit> One other idea...you can put a little steel wool in between the bar and clamp. Of couse, that might rust and cause other issues.

You could also remove a bit of material from the clamping surface of the riser cover where the bolts go through so it would close up tighter on the bars if it is bottoming out now.

Here's a quick and EZ solution. Get some medium grit sandpaper, cut it to fit around the bars at the clamps (also cut it so the clamps hide it). Re-install the clamps and you're done.

SledDog . I like your idea , its quick and fast, but how relaible is it??

I have seen sandpaper break up overtime with just a little water.
Sandpaper used in wet sanding might be more reliable, but still I would be very reluctant to use it. The thought of my bars moving at a crital point while riding would bother me.

My preferance is Glider suggestion plus loctite.

I've used it a few times and never had a problem with it getting wet, even in the rain. Of course I've always used the type for wet sanding. I used it on a set of 22 inch apes with 4 inch risers. The bars never moved. The height was illegal for Florida... But I never got a ticket for 'em.

glider is correct. I had the same problem with mine. Changed over to the apes. They would loosen up every couple of weeks. Took the top clamp off. Used a belt sander with a 6" wide belt took a couple of passes with it. Torque the bolts & used the blue loctite. Haven't loosened up since that fix. Been 2 month now. Ride every day no problems...

glider is correct. I had the same problem with mine. Changed over to the apes. They would loosen up every couple of weeks. Took the top clamp off. Used a belt sander with a 6" wide belt took a couple of passes with it. Torque the bolts & used the blue loctite. Haven't loosened up since that fix. Been 2 month now. Ride every day no problems...

I tried this on my springer and yes, it worked.The only downside is by grinding the clamp, it flaked the chrome in a couple of spots.I used a metal tape on my buddies fatty with the same problem to begin this season.Three months and there still tight.

The Tape Depot: Metalized

Just trim to fit inside the riser,wipe with alchohol and apply.Same result without grinding.

Back