free website stats program Handle bar wobble | Harley Davidson Forums

Handle bar wobble

Slipkid

I've been experiencing a wobble in the front of my '07 Deluxe at about 40 mph. Once I get past this speed it smoothens out. However it is quite noticeable whether I'm coming up to speed or coming down from highway speed. AND it seems even more noticeable when I've got the "trunk" installed. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the front tire, the spokes are all tight and the balancing weights seem intact.

Any thoughts? Is this a normal thing with a Harley?

Any ideas, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It;s not normal at all.

Usually that type of wobble can be caused by a bad tire, bent rim or wheel balancing. If you have a lift, check out the tread of the tire and see if you can detect a wobble when turning the tire.

I had the same problem at the same speed on my 03 SuperGlide, it's the Steering Head Bearing adjustment is too loose. Read and follow the procedure in the Manual to tighten to proper tension it is very easy, 10-15 min.

Mechanic has suggested i put 40lbs of air pressure in to the front tire and remove the wind shield and then do a test. Weather has been horrid up here (Ontario) so I haven't been able to go out and try. He also said that if the added air pressure doesn't cure it, he'll adjust the tensioner.

Check the side wall of the tire before adding 40 lbs pressure, I think that is above the max inflation tire and could cause tire failure, especially after it is heated up and increases again.

What tensioner is he going to adjust for a front end wobble?

I realize that 40lbs is not the recommended tire pressure. Just going to do it for a test. As for the "tensioner" I'm not sure. Sorry, I'm no mechanic. We're just trying to eliminate all possible causes.

Slipkid , I am not a mechanic either , but when a mechanic says he is going to adjust the widget on my bike and I dont know what a widget is, THEN ASK FOR AN EXPLANATION.

If you still dont understand the explanation, post the explanation on this site. There are great people on this site that can help.

Since your in Ontario go to Princess Auto and buy a dial indicator (about $25.00). Its a great tool for checking out of round tires and rims. It sure beats inflating tires to dangerous levels and going for a test ride.

Since you have a lift, elevate the bike so there is no weight on front wheel. Grab the tire and wiggle it. If you can feel movement , there maybe a bearing issue.

Back