free website stats program handle bar lock question on dyna | Harley Davidson Forums

handle bar lock question on dyna

I'm trying to lock the handle bars with the key as per the owners manual on my street bob but unfortunately i cant seem to get the key to turn all the way round to the lock position in either direction. what am i doing wrong?

thanks in advance

maine-e-axe has you covered. I have to turn mine full lock to the left, then rotate slightly to the right as I turn the key. Apparently, there are a lot of them out there that do not line up perfectly.

Guys, I have an '06 Lowrider with the same problem that I have fixed several times. If you look at the lock mechanism from the right hand side of the bike while turning the key you will see a small metal rod that goes into an opening in the lock plate on the fork. While the key is turned part way you can easily manipulate the rod backward or forward with a midsize slotted screwdriver until it properly aligns with the opening that it is designed to go into. I have to reset this position of this rod two to three times per year.

Yikes, an attitude adjustment using a slotted screwdriver...honestly other than prying, there are very few slotted fasteners in use on motorcycles so it sounds like a plan. Hate to see tools in the box go "unused"...but if it keeps your steel rod inline it might be worth a look.

Funny thing, about locks (they are the most used accessory on your bike, just look at how much wear is on your keys). I have an ignition key on my Sporty with one side working best for the steering lock, the other side best for the ignition. If I flip it the wrong way, I have a devil of a time getting it out of the slot...go figure!

Lowrider, I don't understand how the screw driver thing resets the position. Is it one of those things I just have to go do in order to see how the fix is done. I understand how the rod moves, I have had similar locks on many bikes. I just can't see how the ''fix" happens. Thanks.

The locking rod that drops down when you turn the key sometimes misaligns with the hole that it is supposed to drop into to lock the forks. I use the screwdriver to push the rod forward slightly to realign it.

Back