free website stats program handle bar issue | Harley Davidson Forums

handle bar issue

I ride a 97 Softail, the handle bars seem to have loosened up, i cant get any torque on the nuts that hold them, not on the top of the bars, but bellow on the forks, is there a bushing that could have worn out?

I ride a 97 Softail, the handle bars seem to have loosened up, i cant get any torque on the nuts that hold them, not on the top of the bars, but bellow on the forks, is there a bushing that could have worn out?

welcome to the forum. are these stock bars? or do you have aftermarket risers?
my 98 is all aftermarket stuff. my risers are rubber mounted but the handlebars are not. sorry photos are real good

Attachments

• DSCN0382.jpg
    DSCN0382.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0384.jpg
    DSCN0384.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0387.jpg
    DSCN0387.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 13
thanks for the welcome and reply, bars are stock, it's not loose on the bars themselves but on the mount underneth, like on the fork, two bolts go into the fork that holds mount for bars, i can move them up and down like a bushing has worn out, there is red dust around the bolts like a disentegrated bushing, or it could be locktite, i just bought the bike a month ago, so im not sure what the previos owner has used, he did take awesome care of her though.

btw theres not much else stock though

could you send us a photo? to me it sounds like the mounts at the bottom of the risers, which is what attaches the bars to the front end. but i am far from an expert

we always like photos here:D

yes its the mounts that attach the bars, im not sure how to send photo phone not internet access, but i can text a photo?

my guess its the bushings at the bottom of the risers. have a look in your manual if you do not have one have a look here

Harley Davidson Service Manuals PDF Download

how much play do you have in the bars?

The rubber bushes at the bottom of the risers do wear out and there can be a fair bit of slop in the bars part number 53156-86 and there should be 4 of them there are aftermarket alternatives that are a wee bit firmer

Brian

too much for me, not real bad but bars are kinda crucial, so im not too comfy with any play, but i will check out man. thank you for download, if there are bushings at the bottom of risers then thats it, theyre worn, thank you again for your responses

Back