free website stats program Handle Bar Grips | Harley Davidson Forums

Handle Bar Grips

zoood

Product Contributor
Im in the process of making new handlebar grips. I know that in 2008 to present HD has changed the throttle from cable to electronic. My question pertains to the slip on handlebar grip replacements. I know that when my grips wore out or needed replacement. You just remove the old slip on grips and slip on the new ones. Even though Im not changing the electronic nature of the newer throttle. Wouldn't the regular slip on from before 2008 slide on?

RJ

They should ALL be the same and install procedure should be the same checking the throttle cables full swing left and right for adjustment

The grips for 08&up that have the electronic throttle control have "teeth" inside the grip itself to run in conjunction with the ETC. IF YO TAKE OF THE GRIP OF A 08&up bike, look inside the grip itself with a flashlight. You will see them.
WAP.gif

Would you mind posting a link right to that page? My feeble mind gets lost in there.

Thanks, RJ

The Touring models '08 up are TBW, and the right grip is slightly different because of the throttle sensor. I haven't done a grip change on one, but I think the sensor has a larger diameter at the very end of the bar. Look at a parts diag. for throttle control. The parts book lists grips for '08 up touring as a different part #.

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2009 Harley Davidson Street Bike FLHX STREET GLIDE™ (KB) Parts List

The grips for 08&up that have the electronic throttle control have "teeth" inside the grip itself to run in conjunction with the ETC. IF YO TAKE OF THE GRIP OF A 08&up bike, look inside the grip itself with a flashlight. You will see them.
WAP.gif

And also to add, the newer bikes grips are held in place with a flange that mates in a slot in the switch housings.

Zood; You can only link to the website, not the correct page.
1. Hover over "parts and accessory catalogs" under the yellow Ronnies sign.
2. click on "parts finder"
3. scroll the page down and click on "motorcycle" in the white area
4. select your "year" ('08 or newer for TBW)
5. select your "model" (any touring has TBW)
6. scroll almost to the end and select "throttle control & grips".
7. TAA-DAA! :newsmile079:

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2012 Harley Davidson Street Bike FLHTC ELECTRA GLIDE® CLASSIC (FF) Parts List

Actually the diagram is what I wanted a link to, like this -
http://images.imagessite.com/OEM_IMAGES/hd_mc_images/HD10FLHR050.gif
HD10FLHR050.gif

Looks like Im going to have to see if I can find physical TBW set-up I can dissect. Thank you for your help.

zoood/RJ

Zood; You can only link to the website, not the correct page.
1. Hover over "parts and accessory catalogs" under the yellow Ronnies sign.
2. click on "parts finder"
3. scroll the page down and click on "motorcycle" in the white area
4. select your "year" ('08 or newer for TBW)
5. select your "model" (any touring has TBW)
6. scroll almost to the end and select "throttle control & grips".
7. TAA-DAA! :newsmile079:

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2012 Harley Davidson Street Bike FLHTC ELECTRA GLIDE® CLASSIC (FF) Parts List

Back