free website stats program Handle bar change | Harley Davidson Forums

Handle bar change

Redfish-Joe

Got my new Heritage bars yesterday and installed them today on my Road Glide. Well worth the trouble to do it.

A little tip to those who are thinking about it. I read a few post about the trouble some have had getting the throttle wires thru the bars. Take a piece of fishing line and tie a small nut to it. Drop it thru your bars and remove the nut. Tie and tape it to the wires. This will help pull the wires thru as you also push them. It should take very litt effort to pull the wires thru. If it gets hard to pull pull the wire back a little and try again.

Happy "fishin'":D

thanks for the heads up. I have been considering doing this upgrade and little tips like that make or break an easy job :)

Good thought Joe. I use a long piece of the ball chain that is used for the light pull chains. Easy to attach to and it follows all curves nicely.

Did you need to replace and wire or cables? Was the origional cable and wires long enough?
Considering dloing the same thing. How long did it take you?

This is sooooo easy. My riding bud just bought a new RK and swapped his bars. My swap was easy too. Many posts on this subject. No need to swap anything other than the bars and grips if you want to . I left the stock grips, bought a new left grip, glued it up the night before and left the old left grip on the old bars. Just be very careful with the front brake light switch. The manual says to squeeze the brake and install a shim between the lever and the clam shell so when you put it back together you don't squish the rubber seal or damage the mechanism with the lever.

Seems like everyone that swapped out to the police bars likes them. I have mine adjusted about mid height which brought the bars back just enough to make my back feel better after a long ride. But my riding bud has his all the way up like mini apes and it looks great.http://www.hdtimeline.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Did you need to replace and wire or cables? Was the origional cable and wires long enough?
Considering dloing the same thing. How long did it take you?

This is sooooo easy. My riding bud just bought a new RK and swapped his bars. My swap was easy too. Many posts on this subject. No need to swap anything other than the bars and grips if you want to . I left the stock grips, bought a new left grip, glued it up the night before and left the old left grip on the old bars. Just be very careful with the front brake light switch. The manual says to squeeze the brake and install a shim between the lever and the clam shell so when you put it back together you don't squish the rubber seal or damage the mechanism with the lever.

Seems like everyone that swapped out to the police bars likes them. I have mine adjusted about mid height which brought the bars back just enough to make my back feel better after a long ride. But my riding bud has his all the way up like mini apes and it looks great.http://www.hdtimeline.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Larry has it covered. I reused my old grip, removing it with the help of compressed air. I guess that took the most time to remove the grip than anything else. I'm 5'7 and have a Sundowner seat on my bike. With the Heritage bars my riding position is much more comfortable.

I would love to see some pics of the finished bikes if you guys can. I bet it looks awesome. Also, what year Heritage bars did you guys end up using? Do you have a Harley part # for the bars you got?

I would love to see some pics of the finished bikes if you guys can. I bet it looks awesome. Also, what year Heritage bars did you guys end up using? Do you have a Harley part # for the bars you got?

Here is the part # 56902-08
08 Heritage bars

Back