free website stats program Hand signals | Harley Davidson Forums

Hand signals

cdn-bigfoot

Share the ones you use.

This was inspired by another thread on "police up ahead".

These signals are for safety sake as much as they are for avoiding a ticket.

Here's a couple I know to get us started.

Police ahead - Hand on head or circle above.
Single file - Hand vertical on helmet like a shark fin.
Slow down - Wave hand up and down low at side.
I'm thirsty, let's stop for something - Drink motion.
Let's fuel up - Point to tank.
Your signal is on - Hand blink open/closed and point.
Your signal doesn't work - Hand blink, point and slide left/right.

.....please share more that you know.

Last edited:
I have only been on one rally, but they used this one a lot which was to point downward at a 45 degree angle left or right which was to indicate pot hole or some other obsticle in the road as in "watch out."

I have only been on one rally, but they used this one a lot which was to point downward at a 45 degree angle left or right which was to indicate pot hole or some other obsticle in the road as in "watch out."

I had a friend doing that one a lot on a ride. He was pointing at a small bit of tar on the road and a deer jumped in front of him. He was lucky and even though the deer tripped in front of him, he missed it by only inches! He later said he never even saw the deer!!!
Point is he got distracted from more dangerous obstacles in the ditch because he was too focused on little stuff on the road.

That's funny, but I suppose it can happen with anything. You have to decide if what your doing is worth it or could cause more trouble. For the most part I was very pleased to find out about stuff. I was in a group of about 40 other bikes and with everyone packed in so closely, it can be hard to spot stuff on the road. After about 20 minutes of this type of riding, I slipped to the back as I was not a bit comfortable with everyone being so packed in. Sometimes these guys were riding side by side and with only a second in front or back of another bike. I know it looks cool, but I would rather be at the tail end and have a measure of distance around me. I guess it shows my experience level more then anything.

1 finger pointing straight up over the helmet: Go single file.
2 fingers pointing straight up over the helmet: Go 2-up (side-by-side)
Clenched fist straight up over the helmet: Go to staggered formation.

I don't use them too much as I mostly ride solo. But I have used the middle finger up in the air a couple times when someone pulled out in front of me, or cut me off. Does that count?

Group ride pdf.

Hand signals , Page 2

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Attachments

• Group_Ride.pdf
    519.9 KB · Views: 30
Back