free website stats program Had a noise, thought I blew it up | Harley Davidson Forums

Had a noise, thought I blew it up

awall

I was riding home on my 09 Heritage softail. At 75 mph on interstate it started making a noise that sounded like a broken rod. I pulled in the clutch and shut off engine and costed to the side of the road. Checked everything I could and found nothing unusual. I started engine and it was fine. I started riding it slow and when I got to 30mph it started making that noise again but not too bad cause I was driving slow. At 20 mph it didn"t make any noise so I drove it home that way. I removed primary case cover to check out things. Is what I found was a very loose primary chain. The automatic chain tensioner had stuck down and wouldn"t take up the slack in chain. I moved it up and down a few times and it got to where it would hold the tension. I adjusted clutch, cause it needed it, and put it all back together. I've put 500 miles on it with no more problems. I am going to get a new tensioner and put it on as soon as I can. So far all is well. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

I've got an 08 FLHX with 27000+ miles on it and the only time I had a problem one time when I first started the bike it rattled like that, but when I put it in gear it went away and I've never experienced it again. One of those freak occurances I guess?

have you thought of installing a HAYDEN primary chain tensioner p/n M6-BT07 for all '07 &up big twin/twin cam.i hear that this will be a bit easier on the bearing, but you don,t have a insp. window. & i can,t fint anyone who makes
a primary that has one for the mate t/c.engine. i bought one just in case i have a problem such as you have experienced. on my '09 t/g. good luck.

I'll just pick up the stock repalcement for $94 and keep it till I have isues again. I only have 7500 miles and I don't ride hard. When I talk to the dealer mechanic he said most likely it was stuck. As easy it was to get into it and get it working again I'm realy not to worried about it.

Back